Can anyone guide me for this question?

• Thread starter Unusualskill
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of continuity for a function f(x) which is defined differently for rational and irrational values of x. The proof involves finding a point c at which sin(c) = cos(c) and using the epsilon-delta definition to show that f(x) is continuous at c. The hints provided in the conversation suggest finding a delta value that satisfies the conditions for both sin(x) and cos(x) to show that f(x) is continuous at c.
Unusualskill
Let f be the function:
f(x) =
sin(x) ; x is element of Q
cos(x) ; x is not element of Q
Prove, using epsilon-delta definition, that there is a point c,which is element of R at which f is continuous.
Hint: Consider c such that sin(c) = cos(c); why does such a c exist? Then,
since you know that sin(x) and cos(x) are continuous at c, for epsilon> 0, you get delta1 >
0 that gives lsin(x)-sin(c)l <epsilon , and also delta2 > 0 that gives lcos(x)-cos(c)l <epsilon .
Now, why does delta = min(delta1; delta2) work to show lf(x)- f(c)l < epsilon.

Physics news on Phys.org
You were given those "hints", right? So where is your work? Have you found c such that sin(c)= cos(c)?

Why was this posted under "Differential Equations"?

1. How do I approach a complex question in scientific research?

When faced with a complex question in scientific research, it is important to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This will help you better understand the question and identify the key components that need to be addressed. Additionally, it can be helpful to consult with colleagues and experts in the field to gain different perspectives and insights.

2. Can I ask for guidance from others in my research?

Yes, seeking guidance from others is an important aspect of scientific research. Collaboration and communication with colleagues and experts can provide valuable insights and support in tackling complex questions. However, it is important to properly credit and acknowledge any contributions from others in your research.

3. How can I ensure that I am properly addressing the question in my research?

To ensure that you are properly addressing a question in your research, it is crucial to thoroughly review and understand the question. Take the time to break it down, define key terms, and identify any potential biases or assumptions. Additionally, regularly reviewing and discussing your progress with colleagues and mentors can help ensure that you are on the right track.

4. Are there any specific strategies or techniques for addressing difficult questions in research?

There are various strategies and techniques that can be helpful in addressing difficult questions in research. One approach is to utilize different research methods, such as quantitative and qualitative approaches, to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the question. Additionally, seeking feedback and advice from experts and conducting thorough literature reviews can provide valuable insights and perspectives.

5. How do I know when I have adequately addressed a question in my research?

Adequately addressing a question in research is a continuous process, and it is important to regularly review and assess your progress. Some signs that you may have adequately addressed a question include having a thorough understanding of the topic, being able to provide evidence and support for your conclusions, and receiving positive feedback from colleagues and experts in the field.