Can anyone help me disprove something

• Thread starter Timenspace
  • Start date
In summary, two friends with no background in math, physics, science, biology, or astronomy discussed the possibility of space acting as a force against matter and pooling matter together after the big bang. While the standard view is that space expands and carries matter with it, the idea of matter pooling in certain places goes against the cosmological principle that space is doing the same thing everywhere. However, this principle only applies to our observable universe and cannot be confirmed or denied for other areas of space.
Timenspace
Hello all. My first post here (and most possibly last! Not a braniac here).

I was talking with a friend about space and the universe. We are both interested in this matter (pun intended!) , the physics of it at least, but have no math, physics, science, biology or astronomy background. I probably left out a few backgrounds we also don't have but I can't think of them at the moment. In other words, we are both complete laymen. But my friend posed an idea to me that I wanted help disproving (and look smarter doing so), and in laymen terms of why it would not be possible for this to occur in our universe.

Here it is.

Ok first he suggested that it might be possible that space was compressed at the time of the big bang with the creation of matter in pockets, and after which it started pushing back against matter, trying to revert to its original form and there by spreading matter out overall, but in places, pooling matter together.

So does space act as a force against matter?

What is the easiest way to disprove this theory with hard facts?

Thank you for your help.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Timenspace said:
Ok first he suggested that it might be possible that space was compressed at the time of the big bang with the creation of matter in pockets, and after which it started pushing back against matter, trying to revert to its original form and there by spreading matter out overall, but in places, pooling matter together.

So does space act as a force against matter?
The standard view of the Big Bang is that space determines, well, the space between matter-- so when space expands, the matter gets farther apart. That's not exactly a "force" against matter, but it certainly can be pictured as "carrying matter along with it", so your friend's version doesn't sound that way off to me. The idea that matter gets pooled together somewhere else violates an important cosmological principle (in fact it is called "the cosmological principle"), that space is doing the same thing everywhere. But this principle is really only intended to apply to the universe that we observe-- outside that universe we can't really say, there could be pooling, it just isn't a necessary or useful part of the model.

1. Can you disprove a scientific theory?

As a scientist, I cannot simply disprove a scientific theory. The scientific method requires evidence and experimentation to support or refute a theory, and it is an ongoing process. It is important to note that even if a theory is disproven, it does not mean that it was completely incorrect, but rather that it needed to be refined or adjusted based on new evidence.

2. How do you go about disproving something?

The process of disproving something involves conducting experiments and collecting data that either supports or refutes a hypothesis or theory. This data is then analyzed and used to draw conclusions. It is important to approach this process with an open mind and be willing to adjust or change your perspective based on the evidence.

3. Is it important to disprove things in science?

In science, it is important to constantly question and test theories in order to advance our understanding of the natural world. Disproving something can lead to new discoveries and advancements in scientific knowledge. However, it is also important to note that not all theories need to be disproven, as some have been extensively tested and have a strong body of evidence supporting them.

4. Can you disprove something with just one experiment?

No, it is not possible to disprove something with just one experiment. The scientific method requires multiple experiments and data from various sources in order to draw accurate conclusions. One experiment may provide initial evidence, but it needs to be repeated and verified by other scientists in order for it to hold weight in the scientific community.

5. What happens if something is disproven in science?

If a theory or hypothesis is disproven, it means that it is no longer supported by the available evidence. This does not mean that it was completely incorrect, but rather that it needed to be refined or adjusted based on new evidence. Other scientists may build upon this new information and further our understanding of the natural world.