Can astronomical observation take place in daylight in Antacrtica?

• I
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observation
In summary, Concordia Station in Antarctica is a suitable location for accurate astronomical observations due to the transparency of the atmosphere, allowing for observations even when the sun is at an elevation angle of 38°. Radio telescopes are also able to operate during the day in North America. Infrared measurements and high altitude placement of telescopes can greatly improve observations. Some cultures, such as the Mayans, have been known to observe Venus during the day using techniques like observing from within a dark cave.
swampwiz
I was reading this Wikipedia article that says observations can be done even when the Sun is at 38° of elevation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concordia_Station

Concordia Station has been identified as a suitable location for extremely accurate astronomical observations. The transparency of the Antarctic atmosphere permits the observation of stars even when the sun is at an elevation angle of 38°.

Likes ohwilleke
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Radio telescopes regularly operate in broad daylight in North America.

Starlight does not go away during the day. There is just a lot of noise we see as a blue sky. The 38 degrees just means "in broad daylight" if your station is 15 degree north of the south pole.

Taking measurements in infrared and placing the telescope at high altitude makes a big difference.

stefan r said:
Radio telescopes regularly operate in broad daylight in North America.

If you want to go down that path, solar observatories seem to favor daylight for some reason.

• Wow
Likes Keith_McClary and russ_watters
Of course, you can see the moon during the day. I have been told that if you are in a clear sky location (up in the mountains, say) that you can see bright stars in the daytime if you are in a location where your eyes are shielded from the sunlight, such as down a well. I have seen Venus in the daytime with binoculars. You have to know where to look.

phyzguy said:
I have seen Venus in the daytime with binoculars. You have to know where to look.

I have seen Venus around midday naked eye many times. It helps if it's near one of greatest elongations, and if the crescent Moon in not too far away in the sky. Before I go out, I use Stellarium (or something similar) to find the relative orientation of Venus, the Moon, and the Sun. it sometimes helps to locate Venus first with binoculars, but sometimes knowing the configuration of Venus, the Moon, and the Sun is enough.

Likes phyzguy
I believe the Aztecs or Mayans (not sure which) would observe Venus during the day, by making observations from within a dark cave. The small cave mouth would present just a small portion of the sky, thereby making it easier to distinguish the not-very-bright Venus against the bright blue of the sky, whereas trying to pick it out of the full sky is more difficult.

The Maya were big on Venus. (One of R P Feynman's fascinations was the Mayan Codex.... he talks about this in publications)

1. Can astronomical observation take place in daylight in Antarctica?

Yes, astronomical observation can take place in daylight in Antarctica. Due to its location near the South Pole, Antarctica experiences extended periods of daylight during certain times of the year. This makes it possible to observe celestial objects even during the day.

2. How is it possible to observe stars and other celestial objects in daylight in Antarctica?

In Antarctica, astronomical observation is possible during daylight hours because of the phenomenon known as "polar day." This occurs when the sun remains above the horizon for 24 hours, making it possible to see stars and other celestial objects even during the day.

3. What equipment is needed for astronomical observation in daylight in Antarctica?

Astronomers in Antarctica use specialized equipment such as telescopes with solar filters to safely observe the sun during the day. They also use instruments like spectrometers and photometers to study the sun's atmosphere and other celestial objects.

4. Are there any challenges to conducting astronomical observation in daylight in Antarctica?

Yes, there are several challenges to conducting astronomical observation in daylight in Antarctica. The harsh weather conditions, extreme temperatures, and remote location make it difficult to access and maintain equipment. Additionally, the constant daylight can also make it challenging to observe faint objects in the sky.

5. What are the benefits of conducting astronomical observation in daylight in Antarctica?

Conducting astronomical observation in daylight in Antarctica allows for longer periods of observation, as there is no need to wait for nighttime. This can lead to more data being collected and a better understanding of celestial objects. Additionally, the unique location of Antarctica allows for observations of the southern hemisphere's sky, providing valuable insights into the universe.