A new exomoon candidate: Kepler-1625b I

• I
  • Thread starter mfb
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary, the authors looked for signals of potential moons in the Kepler transit data, but they did not find any clear evidence that a moon exists. One particular planet, however, Kepler-1625b, has very curious features in all three observed transits. The Hubble telescope will observe the next transit in October this year to determine if the planet is actually a moon.
HEK VI: On the Dearth of Galilean Analogs in Kepler and the Exomoon Candidate Kepler-1625b I

The authors looked for signals of potential moons in the Kepler transit data. There is some weak evidence that a group of smaller moons exists, but the measurements are not accurate enough to pin that down on a star-by-star level. One particular planet, however, Kepler-1625b, has very curious features in all three observed transits. The Hubble telescope will observe the next transit in October this year.

If it is a moon, then the parent planet probably has 10 Jupiter masses while being a bit smaller than Jupiter, and the moon has Neptune size.
The star is probably quite old already and leaving the main sequence.

Wikipedia article

Transits from the paper, bad paint drawings from me. The main dip comes from the planet, a shallower dip of variable time seems to be there, in agreement with expectations from a moon. We look at the system from below in the drawings.

exomoon_maybe.png

Last edited:
Likes Lord Crc, Buzz Bloom, amarante and 3 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
mfb said:
If it is a moon, then the parent planet probably has 10 Jupiter masses while being a bit smaller than Jupiter, and the moon has Neptune size.

That's a big moon...

It does make one wonder out of the 3,500+ exoplanets that have been confirmed, how much of their estimated mass includes one or more moons. Jupiter currently has 67 moons that we've detected, so it would seem extremely likely that exoplanets of comparable mass would also have numerous moons. The only reason we are not detecting these exomoons, until now, is most likely due to their mass. All of Jupiter's moons combined are only a tiny fraction of Jupiter's mass. So it is understandable why we have not detected exomoons before now. A moon with the mass of Neptune has to be a fairly rare occurrence. Just achieving a stable orbit would be problematic.

Mass estimates will always include moons, while size estimates will sometimes include moons (via their cross section area) and sometimes not, depending on how the transits (or direct images) looked like.

Big moons around big planets don't sound so unreasonable. The system here has an estimated mass ratio of 1:200, that is more than the Earth/Moon mass ratio.

mfb said:
Mass estimates will always include moons, while size estimates will sometimes include moons (via their cross section area) and sometimes not, depending on how the transits (or direct images) looked like.

Big moons around big planets don't sound so unreasonable. The system here has an estimated mass ratio of 1:200, that is more than the Earth/Moon mass ratio.
The ratio of this system is closer to 1:815 (3.9 Earth masses orbiting 31,783 Earth masses). The Earth/moon mass ratio is 1:81. So there is approximately 10 times the mass difference between these exoplanet/exomoon pairings and the pairing of the Earth and moon combination. Nevertheless, it is still a very big moon.

Where do you get the 3.9 Earth masses from? The mass of the moon is basically unconstrained (transit timing variation could give access to it, but we need more precise transit timing), only the size has a rough estimate. Neptune has 17 times the mass of Earth.

It is a big moon, but it is a big planet as well.

mfb said:
Where do you get the 3.9 Earth masses from? The mass of the moon is basically unconstrained (transit timing variation could give access to it, but we need more precise transit timing), only the size has a rough estimate. Neptune has 17 times the mass of Earth.

It is a big moon, but it is a big planet as well.
I must have used Neptune's radius instead of its mass, my mistake. You are correct, Neptune is 17.15 times Earth mass.

|Glitch| said:
It does make one wonder out of the 3,500+ exoplanets that have been confirmed, how much of their estimated mass includes one or more moons. Jupiter currently has 67 moons that we've detected, so it would seem extremely likely that exoplanets of comparable mass would also have numerous moons. The only reason we are not detecting these exomoons, until now, is most likely due to their mass. All of Jupiter's moons combined are only a tiny fraction of Jupiter's mass. So it is understandable why we have not detected exomoons before now. A moon with the mass of Neptune has to be a fairly rare occurrence. Just achieving a stable orbit would be problematic.
Do we have any news about the new exoplanets NASA had discover in February? I think they were characterized as potential "life supporters"

I didn't see anything completely new from Kepler this year.

Please keep the discussion focused on the exomoon candidate.

1. What is Kepler-1625b I?

Kepler-1625b I is a newly discovered exomoon candidate orbiting the gas giant exoplanet Kepler-1625b. It is located about 8,000 light-years away from Earth.

2. How was the exomoon candidate discovered?

The exomoon candidate was discovered by analyzing data from NASA's Kepler Space Telescope. Scientists noticed a small dip in the brightness of the star Kepler-1625, which suggested the presence of a planet. Further observations revealed the presence of the exoplanet Kepler-1625b, and its potential moon, Kepler-1625b I.

3. What makes this exomoon candidate significant?

If confirmed, Kepler-1625b I would be the first exomoon ever discovered. This would be a major breakthrough in our understanding of exoplanets and their moons, and could provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of planetary systems.

4. What are the next steps for studying this exomoon candidate?

The next step is to conduct further observations and analysis to confirm the existence of Kepler-1625b I. This could involve using other telescopes and techniques, such as the Hubble Space Telescope, to gather more data and evidence. If confirmed, scientists will also study the exomoon's characteristics, such as its size, composition, and orbit.

5. What impact could the discovery of this exomoon have on our understanding of the universe?

If confirmed, the discovery of an exomoon would have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It would provide evidence that moons can exist outside of our solar system, and could open up new possibilities for finding other habitable worlds. It could also help us learn more about the formation and evolution of planetary systems, and potentially even the origins of life in the universe.