Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can black holes be disintegrated from a sufficiently powerful explosion?

1. May 25, 2012 #1
    Can black holes be disintegrated by a sufficiently powerful explosion?

If an explosion from various types of astrophysical phenomena occurs near a black hole, can the explosion disintegrate the black hole if the force of the explosion is greater than the gravitational force of the black hole?

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2
    No, the field is too strong for that.

4. May 25, 2012 #3
    What type of violent phenomenon could possibly disintegrate a black hole?

5. May 25, 2012 #4

Ich

Science Advisor

There is none.
    AFAIK, you could stop otherwise inevitable collapse with eonugh "negative pressure", something like Dark Energy. My understanding is that applying such a mysterious material inside the Event Horizon will not disrupt the Black Hole: even if things start flying apart again, as seen from the outside nothing will change. But I could be dead wrong about that, just guessing.

6. May 25, 2012 #5

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Absolutely nothing. The event horizon of a black hole represents the point at which the greater than the speed of light must be achieved to escape. As nothing can do this nothing can disrupt it.

7. May 25, 2012 #6
    What about a collision between a black hole and another extremely massive object, such as a hyper-giant sun or another black hole? Or what if the black hole encounters dark energy particles or is, hypothetically, in a universe that has so much dark energy that it expands at a rate that tremendously overwhelms gravitational force?

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  8. May 25, 2012 #7
    I think the closest you could come would be a collision event between two black holes.

The amount of energy they threw off via frame dragging as they orbited each other at near light-speed just before contact might look like a massive explosion to an outside observer - but the black holes themselves would just merge, not actually explode, it would be the matter and energy nearby that would be intensely affected by the event.

Not sure how much energy they would actually lose during the event. Presumably they'd be throwing off a decent chunk of angular momentum or something?

9. May 26, 2012 #8
    Re: Can black holes be disintegrated by a sufficiently powerful explosion?

A black hole technically isn't even an actual object so how can it be disintegrated?

10. May 26, 2012 #9
    Re: Can black holes be disintegrated by a sufficiently powerful explosion?

No. Let's suppose you explode something in a black hole. You need a lot of energy to blow up the black hole, *but* E=mc^2 and so that energy is going to have a mass associated with it and is also going to produce a gravitational field.

So if you have an explosion that big enough to do something to the black hole, it's also big enough to generated enough gravity to cancel out the effects of the explosion.

11. May 26, 2012 #10
    The massive object adds to the mass of the black hole, and you get a bigger black hole. If you feed any energy to the black hole, it just makes the black hole bigger.

I think that's cool......

12. May 26, 2012 #11
    You just end up with a bigger black hole.

Now if you stuff around the black hole, that's going to cause a lot of mess. But one interesting thing about black holes is that on the whole, they are pretty quiet. If you bang two neutron stars together you get a big explosion, but if you bang two black holes together, they just form a bigger black hole.

13. May 26, 2012 #12

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. May 27, 2012 #13
    The REAL way to "disintegrate" a black hole would be through hawking radiation. Maybe if we could some how speed it up tremendously?

15. May 27, 2012 #14
    What if there was a way to sink the particles ejected from the black hole into a region of deep space, dark matter or some other type of entity that can rapidly drain the black hole's mass? Or, can accelerating the black hole's spin or adding more heat to the black hole speed up the emission of Hawking Radiation?

16. May 27, 2012 #15
    What if a space monster spun it around a few times?

We don't exactly what exactly happens with black holes but current mainstream theory says black hole + something else = bigger black hole.

Anything else, take to science fiction forum and bring out the space monsters!

17. May 27, 2012 #16

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Supporting this is the following reasoning:

Formation of a singularity inside a horizon is a global phenomenon, and the singularity theorems all make assumptions about energy conditions. However, escaping an event horizon requires there exists a (local) frame where matter overtakes light (the lightlike event horizon). I seem to recall papers about non-singular black holes that involve various subtle violations of the assumptions of the singularity theorems.

The one caveat I can think of is that I did see one paper (whose repute I am not sure of) that argued as follows: various authors, over the years, have published ever more rigorous derivations of the fact that a massive body taken to the limit zero mass and size, follows a geodesic, thus establishing that separate equations of motion are superfluous in GR (Sam Gralla who contributes on this site, is a co-author on one of the more recent ones). However, the more rigorous papers of this type need to assume an an energy condition for the body during the limiting process. The interesting paper I saw argued that if you allow gross violation of energy conditions during the limiting process, you can end up with a test body trajectory that is spacelike.

18. May 28, 2012 #17
    Hmmmmmmm......

I think so. If you put a giant refrigerator near a black hole and then use it to suck up all of the Hawking radiation, the black hole should increase evaporation to compensate and that would shrink the black hole.....

19. May 28, 2012 #18
    Is it possible for another black hole with an axis of rotation parallel to the first black hole and spinning in the same direction as the first black hole transfer some of its rotational energy through its gravitational field to the first black hole and make it spin faster? Would it also make it easier for the second black hole to do this if it is larger than the first black hole?

20. May 28, 2012 #19
    But if you're sucking up all the hawking radiation you are depriving the black hole of what it needs to evaporate.

21. May 28, 2012 #20

FOIWATER

Gold Member

Isn't the hawking radiation WHAT is evaporates

Not a necessity TO evaporate

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook