Can Combustion Synthesis on LiNO3 Produce Lithium Oxide Li2O?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mykey651
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
mykey651
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
SCS on LiNO3 expected to obtain Li2O
I'm trying to obtain some lithium oxide Li2O using combustion synthesis on LiNO3. I tried different fuels such as: citric acid, urea, sucrose, glycine in different molar ratios. I follow the steps for SCS with gel formation, and combustion temperature but the results it's still the same. I always obtain LiNO3 back and sometimes some other Li-C compounds (maybe Li2CO3). I couldn't find any article on SCS for LiNO3 for Li2O obtaining but just some Li compounds with Mn, Co, Ni, Fe etc. but not just Li2O. Has anybody any idea what would be the catch? I currently working on decomposition of LiNO3 into Li2O using open flame and maybe a furnace. I would appreciate any suggestion, documents, articles, opinion on this matter. Thanks
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have never done this but I think heating LiNO3 in a furnace @ 485 C should do it. The equation is
4LiNO3 + heat ==> 2Li2O + 4NO2 + O2

The temperature should be controlled since I understand that heating above 500 C will likely form LiNO2 but I can't confirm that.

Hope it works
 
Thank you Dr Bob.

Im waiting for xrd analysis on decomposed LiNO3 sample. I observed some bright white powder as result, similar with Li2O in appearance. Also i have found some limited information about LiNO3 deconposition. Can you share some with me if it is available?

Thank you