Can force or displacement be negative in the work equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work being the dot product of force and displacement, and how it applies to a specific problem involving a car braking. There is confusion over the direction of force and the angle used in the equation, leading to an incorrect calculation of the stopping distance.
SkyrimKhajiit
I know that work is the "dot product" of force and displacement, but I got a little stuck with this problem:

"Vera is driving her 1000-kg car at a speed of 8m/s. When Vera slams on the brakes, the ground exerts an 8000-N frictional force to bring the car to a stop. Determine the initial kinetic energy of the car, the work done by friction on the car, and the stopping distance of the car."

So of course by simple computation, you'd get:

Wext=KEf-KEi
Wext=-32,000J

But then I plug it into the equation W=F*d*cos(theta):

(-32,000J)=(-8000N)(d)(-1)

Which would mean that d=-4m...but it isn't, since the car is moving in a straight line, then slowing to a stop, correct? This is where I got confused--the dot product means you ignore the directions of force and displacement, but does it also mean you ignore whether it's positive or negative? Or does that in itself denote direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is that you have double counted the direction of the force F as negative. eg You have it negative because it's pointing backwards AND you have the angle as Cos(180) which is -1.

You are taking the force to be both negative and with an angle that is 180 degrees, which is another negation, and you end up with a positive force. You have to decide whether you consider the force negative or the angle to be 180 degrees.

1. Can force be negative in the work equation?

Yes, force can be negative in the work equation. This typically occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in negative work being done on an object.

2. Can displacement be negative in the work equation?

Yes, displacement can be negative in the work equation. This occurs when the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction, resulting in a negative value for displacement.

3. What does a negative value for work indicate?

A negative value for work indicates that work is being done in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. This means that energy is being taken away from the object rather than being added.

4. Can both force and displacement be negative in the work equation?

Yes, both force and displacement can be negative in the work equation. This would occur when the force and displacement are both in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction, resulting in a positive value for work being done on the object.

5. Is negative work always bad?

No, negative work is not always bad. It simply indicates the direction in which energy is being transferred. For example, when a car is braking, the negative work done on the car is necessary to decrease its kinetic energy and bring it to a stop.