Can Heat Cause Wrought Iron to Emit Audible Sounds?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jfxjmn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Sound
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
jfxjmn
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I have been tripping over this for a while. If heat and sound are both essentially vibration, is it possible for certain temperatures to cause audible sounds in substances? Specifically, I am trying to figure out at what temperature wrough iron will vibrate just right... like a bell or something. I heated a cannon ball and it really seemed to be emitting a sound. Would that be an effect of the air temperature being raised, or is it possible that the molecules of metal kinda start ringing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Heat is a random vibration. Sound is an organized vibration. So sound is a special case of a type of vibration. So it is easier to understand that sound can lead to heat, but not the other way around.

Zz.
 
In the total thermal vibration frequency spectrum of a soild, the frequency of audible sound is in an extremely narrow range. Only very finite phonon with audible frequency is excited even at room temperature, and the strength is so low as to easily be absorbed and scattered. so we can not feel it. If temperature is high enough while keeping solids or liquids not being transformed into gas (under high pressure), I think we would hear some thing.
 
thank you for the educated input, I really want to take some classes so that I don't have to ask questions on the basics...