Can Hilbert's Paradox Be Solved With a Simple Command For Guests to Move Rooms?

In summary, the procedure of moving guests in Hilbert's paradox for accommodating a new guest is infinite due to the infinite number of rooms. However, in a thought experiment, the move can be synchronized perfectly without anyone needing to wait, making the room available immediately. Practical considerations are irrelevant in this thought experiment and building a hotel with an infinite number of rooms is not currently possible.
rupertc
In Hilbert's paradox to accommodate a new guest you move guest 1 to room 2, guest 2 to room 3 and so on this will make space for a new guest. I assume that guest 1 has to wait for guest 2 to move to room 3 before he can move to room 2 thus all guests have to wait for guest n to move to room n+1. My question is that since there are infinite rooms the procedure of moving guests is infinite so does that mean that a room will never be made available?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
rupertc said:
In Hilbert's paradox to accommodate a new guest you move guest 1 to room 2, guest 2 to room 3 and so on this will make space for a new guest. I assume that guest 1 has to wait for guest 2 to move to room 3 before he can move to room 2 thus all guests have to wait for guest n to move to room n+1. My question is that since there are infinite rooms the procedure of moving guests is infinite so does that mean that a room will never be made available?

Can't the hotel manager just yell out, "Attention! All guests out into the corridor! Quick march at my command to the room to your right - 1-2-3!"? :smile:

So the move can be synchronised perfectly without anyone needing to wait.

You must also realize that this is purely a thought experiment, so practical considerations become meaningless. If you do manage to build a hotel with [itex]\aleph_0[/itex] rooms, let us know. :biggrin:

What is Hilbert's Paradox and Time?

Hilbert's Paradox and Time is a thought experiment proposed by the mathematician David Hilbert in 1924. It explores the concept of infinity and the relationship between space and time.

What is the paradox in Hilbert's Paradox and Time?

The paradox lies in the fact that, according to Hilbert's thought experiment, an infinite amount of time would be needed to traverse an infinite amount of space. This raises questions about the nature of infinity and the limitations of our understanding of space and time.

What is the significance of Hilbert's Paradox and Time?

Hilbert's Paradox and Time has been a subject of interest in the fields of mathematics, physics, and philosophy. It has sparked debates and discussions about the nature of infinity, the concept of time, and the boundaries of our knowledge.

Is Hilbert's Paradox and Time solvable?

The paradox itself does not have a definitive solution, as it is a thought experiment rather than a problem to be solved. However, it has led to further exploration and theories in the fields of mathematics and physics.

How does Hilbert's Paradox and Time relate to other paradoxes?

Hilbert's Paradox and Time shares similarities with other paradoxes, such as Zeno's paradox and the Banach-Tarski paradox. They all challenge our understanding of infinity, space, and time, and have implications for our understanding of the physical world.