Can Hopf's Maximum Principle imply f(r) = 0 for X(r) with compact support?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter haushofer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Maximum Principle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
1,608
Hi,

it's been a while since I've explicitly dealt with differential equations. I have a question concerning "Hopf's maximum principle". The situation is as follows.

Let's say I have a function X(r) for which I have

[tex] \lim_{r \rightarrow\infty}X(r) = 0[/tex]

This function X(r) satisfies the following condition for some arbitrary function f(r):

[tex] X(r) = - \Bigl(\frac{\partial f}{\partial r}\Bigr)^2[/tex]

Can I now use Hopf's maximum principle and state that

[tex] f(r) = 0[/tex]

everywhere? Do things change when I consider X(r) to have compact support? Maybe there is an easy counterexample if this conclusion is false, but any input would be welcome! :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org