Can I Add Spacing to Posts for Clearer Equations?

• Thread starter macaco
  • Start date
In summary, There are a few ways to add spacing or indentations in messages on Physics Forums. One option is to use the CODE tags, which may require some experimentation to get the desired result. Another option is to use LaTeX for equations, which will automatically format them with proper spacing. Additionally, the "increase indent" button can be used to indent text in the message.
macaco
This may be a stupid question, but is there a way to put spacing at the start of a line. Sim ilar to what the 'Tab' key would do in a word processor.
Just to make the equations I'm writing clearer.
=]

Physics news on Phys.org
Not in the body of the message, but may try to experiment with [СODE][/СODE] tags.

However, equations look best in LaTeX. Instead of

F=
k(q1)(q2)
------------
r^2

you will get

[tex]F = \frac {k q_1 q_2} {r^2}[/tex]

It won't get better with spaces.

--
methods

You can indent any line of text using the "increase indent" https://www.physicsforums.com/Nexus/editor/indent.png button. You'll need to edit in Advanced Mode, just click the "Go Advanced" button to get there.

Here is an example of indented text.​

This line is indented twice.​

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks so much guys!
=]​
people might actually be able to read my equations now.
LOL

Last edited:

What is the purpose of putting spaces in posts?

The purpose of putting spaces in posts is to improve readability and make the content easier to understand. It also helps to break up large chunks of text and make the post more visually appealing.

How do I add spaces in my post?

To add spaces in your post, simply press the space bar on your keyboard. You can also use the Tab key to create larger spaces.

Why do some spaces disappear when I post on certain platforms?

Some platforms have a default setting that automatically removes extra spaces in posts. This is often done to save storage space and improve loading times. To avoid this, you can use a non-breaking space character (nbsp) or add a period after each space.

Is there a limit to the number of spaces I can use in a post?

There is no specific limit to the number of spaces you can use in a post, but excessive use of spaces can make the post difficult to read and may cause formatting issues. It is best to use spaces sparingly and only when necessary.

Can I use other characters instead of spaces in my post?

Yes, you can use other characters such as dashes or symbols to create spacing in your post. However, it is important to consider the readability of the post and use these characters sparingly to avoid confusion.