Can I Add Sine and Cosine Functions with a Non-Factorable Scalar?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mutzy188
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cosine Functions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
mutzy188
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Hi guys,

I don't know if this should go here because it is an excerpt from a higher level problem. The part where I get stuck is when I try to add the cosine functions.

Is there any way to add sine and cosine functions that have a scalar in front that cannot be factored out? For example:

5*cos(wt) + 6*cos(wt + pi/4)

If there weren't any numbers in front of the functions then I could use the trig identity. What can I do with the numbers there? Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
5cos(wt) + 6*cos(wt + π/4)


expand out cos(wt+π/4) then group the like terms. Then you can either put in the form Rcos(wt±A) or Rsin(wt±A)