Can I Pursue a Math PhD with an Applied Math and Economics Undergrad Degree?"

• Programs
  • Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary: To the original poster, ask a professor at the math department at your school.Financial mathematics.Econ phd has a lot of math in it. I'm double majoring in puremath/econ, and plan on going to grad school for econ.I suggest you get a degree in applied mathematics. Pure mathematics is not a prerequisite for a PhD in applied mathematics.Getting a degree in applied mathematics would definitely be the better option. You will have a lot of math in your program and you will be able to focus on the subjects that are important for a PhD in applied mathematics.
JasonJo
Can I be a Math PhD if...?

Is it possible for me to go to grad school for my Mathematics Phd if my undergrad was Applied math and economics double major and i studied pure mathematics on the side?

thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd think by now with a Bachelors degree you'd at least be intelligent enough to answer that question yourself

i am entering my sophomore year

good job speculating and not even bothering to ask me. thanks for being a mean spirited guy and instead of actually offering me feedback, you give me a spiteful answer

and the reason i am asking is because i compared the applied math course list and the pure math course list and other than calculus, there isn't much crossover or similar courses.

but the above, i take that as a yes

Last edited:
My simple answer is 'yes' , very possible.

Well if you are a sophomore I won't be devulging myself in illusions and dreams of grad schools, not until I've actually gotten the degree and passed GRE's high enough. Otherwise you are wasting people's time and your own time. Go back to study

cronxeh said:
Well if you are a sophomore I won't be devulging myself in illusions and dreams of grad schools, not until I've actually gotten the degree and passed GRE's high enough. Otherwise you are wasting people's time and your own time. Go back to study

i am not wasting anyone's time. if you don't want to reply, DONT REPLY.

how am i wasting my own time? I am wasting my own time by trying to reach my own aspirations?

yes it is back to study, that's what i do.

enough of this, it's pointless and aggravating for both of us

Dr.Brain said:
My simple answer is 'yes' , very possible.

cool, thanks Doc :smile:

Why not get a Phd in applied math? Also, if you want to get your Phd in Pure math, why not get your BS in Pure math? Or, drop the Econ major to a minor, and take a ton of math classes, both pure and applied! You are entering your sophmore year, you can easily change now.

cronxeh said:

This is an open forum. He, like everyone else here, took the time to sign up and ask his question (which he has every right to do.) IMO your attitude has no place here.

Last edited:
yeah, it was just stupid, i think both of us regret it. so whatever, i got my answer from this forum, like i always do, its a great forum. so you know, let's just move on, and keep this great forum running

cscott said:
This is an open forum. He, like everyone else here, took the time to sign up and ask his question (which he has every right to do.) IMO your attitude has no place here.

I agree. No need to try and belittle people.

To the original poster, ask a professor at the math department at your school.

Financial mathematics.

Econ phd has a lot of math in it. I'm double majoring in puremath/econ, and plan on going to grad school for econ.

My question for the board: I'm entering my junior year, by the way. How easy would it be to take some extra math grad classes while studying for econ phd?

Also, what do you mean by "study pure math on the side"... not take courses? You'll need a high amount of motivation to go through texts like Rudin (Real Analysis) by yourself, or other high-level undergrad books.

jasonjo,

1) your question is poorly posed: anything is "possible".

2) you are overly sensitive: if you think the tiny insults on this forum are abd wait till you get to math grad school. don't be so easily distracted (although a healthy ego is useful in grad school).

3) in an attempt to answer your question, i am hampered by a lack of information. none of the things you mention are either a disqualifier or a qualifier. the main prerequisite is serious smarts and a great work ehtic.

if you have those you can definitely do maths.

point of information: ed witten, who won the fields medal in math a few years ago, majored in history at brandeis as an undergrad. does that answer your question as to what is possible?

BTW: just as anyone is entitled to post any question they like on a public forum, so is anyone entitled to post any answer. so you must learn to ignore the ones that are not helpful and not be led down the garden path of arguing endlessly over who was rudest: a la miss manners.

peace, young person.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
jasonjo,

1) your question is poorly posed: anything is "possible".

2) you are overly sensitive: if you think the tiny insults on this forum are abd wait till you get to math grad school. don't be so easily distracted (although a healthy ego is useful in grad school).

3) in an attempt to answer your question, i am hampered by a lack of information. none of the things you mention are either a disqualifier or a qualifier. the main prerequisite is serious smarts and a great work ehtic.

if you have those you can definitely do maths.

point of information: ed witten, who won the fields medal in math a few years ago, majored in history at brandeis as an undergrad. does that answer your question as to what is possible?

BTW: just as anyone is entitled to post any question they like on a public forum, so is anyone entitled to post any answer. so you must learn to ignore the ones that are not helpful and not be led down the garden path of arguing endlessly over who was rudest: a la miss manners.

peace, young person.

Edward Witten is kind of the inspiration for it. I believe he got his Ph.D at age 28 from Princeton?

yeah, thanks for the input Mathwonk!

you are welcome, (witten's vita on his home page implies he was only 25 at PhD time). I myself was 35.

Is there a record for how old?

probably in the teens from "ye oldern days"

there was an 18 year old grad student at harvard when i was there. i don't know when he finished. the smartest kid in my colleague's honors calc class in college was 12. but this is irrelevant.

1. Can I pursue a Math PhD with an Applied Math and Economics Undergrad Degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Math PhD with an Applied Math and Economics undergraduate degree. Many universities offer PhD programs in mathematics that accept students with diverse undergraduate backgrounds.

2. Will having an Economics background put me at a disadvantage for a Math PhD?

Having an Economics background will not necessarily put you at a disadvantage for a Math PhD. In fact, your diverse background may bring unique perspectives and skills to the program.

3. Do I need a strong background in both Applied Math and Economics to pursue a Math PhD?

While a strong background in both Applied Math and Economics may be beneficial for a Math PhD, it is not always necessary. Many PhD programs offer foundational courses to help students from diverse backgrounds catch up on any necessary knowledge.

4. Can I specialize in a specific area of math with an Applied Math and Economics degree?

Yes, you can definitely specialize in a specific area of math with an Applied Math and Economics degree. PhD programs often allow students to choose a specialization or focus within the broader field of mathematics.

5. What kind of career opportunities can I pursue with a Math PhD and an Applied Math and Economics undergrad degree?

With a Math PhD and an Applied Math and Economics undergraduate degree, you can pursue a variety of career opportunities. Some options include becoming a research mathematician, a data scientist, an economist, or a professor in either mathematics or economics.