Can I Change Font Size and Background Color in X11 Terminal on iMac?

  • Thread starter Thread starter natski
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
natski
Messages
262
Reaction score
2
Hi,

I'm using an iMac with X11 terminal and wanted to know how (and if) I can change the font size to be a littler larger and also whether it's possible to change the background from white to a pale yellow? Thank-you!

Natski
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use control right click to bring up a font selection popup. AFAIK, you can't change the background on the fly. You'll have to do that when you fire up your xterm:

xterm -bg lightyellow -cr lightyellow -fg black

You can also specify the default font in the xterm command via the -fn option.
 
Thanks, I tried -fn arial and it didnt like it much though, which fonts are available?
 
Last edited:
xlsfonts lists all of the fonts available. The list is rather large. See below.

xfontsel let's you narrow down a font. You have to know a bit about fonts are specified to make sense of this and to use the outputs.

You probably want a fixed-size font for a terminal. Try

xlsfonts | grep '^[0-9]'

This will give a list of fixed-size fonts in terms of pixel width X height.