Can I do this? I am 5'2", 120 lbs.

• Thread starter summersnow
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about determining if the person is capable of meeting the job requirement of pushing 30 psi. The suggestion is to demonstrate their ability by using a thumb tack to exert over 1000 psi with just the weight of their pinkie finger. If the hiring manager does not allow the use of a thumb tack, it is recommended to look for a better job opportunity.
summersnow
Hi

Need to find out what this mean.

"Pushing 30 psi" is the requirement for this job I am interested in. How can I find out if I can do this job? I am 5'2" and 120 lbs.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't make any sense. Are you sure it says psi and isn't supposed to be lbs?

Well... go to the hiring manager and ask for a thumb tack. Show him that, with just the weight of your pinkie finger and using the thumb tack you can exert far greater than 30 psi.

First, explain that this is simpler in SI, but since the hiring manager wants to work in imperial units you will go ahead an humor him.

Pressure is force per unit area, or P = F/A

The area of the tip of a thumb tack varies considerably, but let's say that it is about 2x10^-4 inches square.
The weight of your pinkie finger is about about 0.2 lb... give or take.

0.2/(2*10^-4) (lb/in^2) = P = 1000 psi.

This should impress your employer in many ways, and you are sure to get the job.

However... the hiring manager is a jerk and says you cannot use a thumbtack as it is over their budget, then I would go looking for a better job.

1. Can I do physically demanding activities if I am 5'2" and 120 lbs?

Yes, your height and weight do not necessarily determine your physical abilities. However, it is important to listen to your body and not push yourself beyond your limits to avoid injury.

2. Will my height and weight affect my overall health?

Your height and weight can impact your overall health, but it is not the only determining factor. Other factors such as diet, exercise, and genetics also play a role. It is important to maintain a balanced and healthy lifestyle regardless of your height and weight.

3. Can I participate in weightlifting or bodybuilding at this height and weight?

Yes, you can participate in weightlifting or bodybuilding at any height and weight. However, it is important to consult a professional trainer to ensure proper form and technique to prevent injury.

4. Will my height and weight affect my metabolism?

Yes, your height and weight can impact your metabolism, but it is just one factor among many. Other factors such as age, gender, and activity level also play a role in your metabolism. It is important to maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly to keep your metabolism functioning efficiently.

5. Are there any specific health concerns I should be aware of at this height and weight?

There are no specific health concerns solely based on your height and weight. However, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle to prevent any potential health issues. Regular check-ups with a healthcare professional can also help identify and address any potential health concerns.