Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I do this? I am 5'2", 120 lbs.

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    Hi

Need to find out what this mean.

"Pushing 30 psi" is the requirement for this job I am interested in. How can I find out if I can do this job? I am 5'2" and 120 lbs.

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

That doesn't make any sense. Are you sure it says psi and isn't supposed to be lbs?

4. Sep 5, 2014 #3
    Well... go to the hiring manager and ask for a thumb tack. Show him that, with just the weight of your pinkie finger and using the thumb tack you can exert far greater than 30 psi.

First, explain that this is simpler in SI, but since the hiring manager wants to work in imperial units you will go ahead an humor him.

Pressure is force per unit area, or P = F/A

The area of the tip of a thumb tack varies considerably, but lets say that it is about 2x10^-4 inches square.
    The weight of your pinkie finger is about about 0.2 lb... give or take.

0.2/(2*10^-4) (lb/in^2) = P = 1000 psi.

This should impress your employer in many ways, and you are sure to get the job.

However... the hiring manager is a jerk and says you cannot use a thumbtack as it is over their budget, then I would go looking for a better job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook