Can I say I speak 5 Languages technically

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Leon Caliban
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation explores the topic of whether stating fluency in different dialects of the same language on a resume or job application could cause any issues. Some people consider them separate languages, while others see them as the same. The question is whether highlighting these distinctions will work for or against the person in the job market. The conversation also touches on the importance of delivering on these claims and not just boasting about language abilities.
Leon Caliban
Ok so I speak English and Bosnian Fluently.All the ex Yugoslavia countrys tend to say they have their own language.Serbians say they speak Serbian,Croatians have Croatian,and so on.The language is basically the same.I want to know if I put this on a collage resume or job application could I get in trouble.Some people consider them separate languages,others don't.I just wanted someone opinion on this,thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Leon Caliban said:
...I want to know if I put this on a collage resume ...
Well, you could say you speak a collage of languages...
:biggrin:

You can say all you want as long as you remember you have the responsibility to deliver on demand.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, you could say you speak a collage of languages...
:biggrin:

Couldnt resist could you lolAnd I can deliver,the same way if someone asked you speak speak British or Australian.

Leon Caliban said:
Couldnt resist could you lol

Attention to detale :biggrin:

The question is what will your potential employers think of the hair-splitting? Will it work for you, or against you?

Could you say you speak English and all four dialects of Bosnian?

I am having complete abilities for speaking 5 also of languages. English the best.

Leon Caliban said:
And I can deliver,the same way if someone asked you speak speak British or Australian.

Are the distinctions between these languges relevant to your employer somehow? Or is it just boasting?

If you make a claim that sounds great but then turns out to be hollow, it may actually hurt you.

1. Can I really say I speak 5 languages technically?

Technically, you can say that you speak 5 languages if you have the ability to communicate effectively in those languages. However, it is important to be honest about your level of proficiency and not overestimate your abilities.

2. How can I determine if I truly speak 5 languages?

The best way to determine if you speak 5 languages is to assess your level of proficiency in each language. This can be done through standardized language tests or by having a conversation with a native speaker.

3. Does being able to speak 5 languages fluently mean I am bilingual in all of them?

Not necessarily. Fluency in a language means that you are able to communicate effortlessly and accurately in that language. Being bilingual means that you have equal proficiency in two languages. It is possible to be fluent in multiple languages without being fully bilingual in all of them.

4. Can I count sign languages as one of the 5 languages I speak?

Yes, sign languages are considered as legitimate languages and can be included in your count of 5 languages. However, it is important to specify which sign language(s) you are proficient in, as there are many different sign languages used around the world.

5. Is it important to mention my level of proficiency when stating that I speak 5 languages?

Yes, it is important to mention your level of proficiency when stating that you speak 5 languages. This will give others a better understanding of your abilities and prevent any misunderstandings about your language skills. It is also important to continue practicing and improving your proficiency in all 5 languages to maintain your abilities.