Can I Use Rates Instead of Rate Constants in an Arrhenius Plot?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mycotheology
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Arrhenius Plot
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
mycotheology
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Heres the question:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1185/screenshot5xq.png
Kinetics is probably my weakest area in chemistry so I'm struggling. To find the shelf life, I need to use the Arrhenius equation but I don't know the activation energy Ea or the A constant. So I converted 2 those percentages into rates and got:
At 40C, rate = 0.082 %/month
At 60C, rate = 0.39 %/month

I know that if I plot 1/T vs. lnk, I get an Arrhenius plot and then I can find Ea from the slope and A from the y-intercept but I don't have k. Can I just use the rates that I have instead of k?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You have two data points and two unknowns, that means you should be able to find both solving system of two equations.
 
Can you elaborate on that a bit. Do you mean use simultaenous equations?