Can iron react with other inorganic substances and form a red precipitate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter alotropia_entropia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Iron Reactions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
alotropia_entropia
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I'm with a small doubt let me show for you:

I have a solution:
KNO3 + Fe(SCN)3

Plus:
Na2SO4 (aq)

I would like to know if could happen it?

---> NaNO3 + FeSO4↓ppt red + KSCN

Or plus:

NaOH (aq)

Could Happen ?
----> NaNO3+ Fe(OH)3 ↓ppt red +KSCN

Thank you

Paulo
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it happened : But
6KNO3+ 2Fe(SCN)3+ 3Na2SO4---->Fe2(SO4)3 ↓ppt red + 6KSCN (aq) + 6 NaNO3 (aq)

Now I want to know how precipitate the [SCN] from aqueous solution NaNO3 + KSCN

Could anyone help me?
Thanks
 
NaOH isn't good to precipitate KSCN ... the KSCN is unsoluble into etanol but is a bit expansive...until now