Can Minkowski's Inequality Prove Summation Inequality for Positive Numbers?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter St41n
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequality
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
St41n
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
I don't understand how it is possible to show using the Minkowski's Inequality that
[itex](\sum x_i )^a \leq \sum x_i^a[/itex] where [itex]x_i \geq 0 \forall i[/itex] and [itex]0<a<1[/itex].

I also tried to prove this without using Minkowski, but to no avail.

This is driving me crazy although it seems to be trivial in the literature.
I will appreciate any help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi St41n! :smile:

It seems that you must prove that [itex](x+y)^\alpha\leq x^\alpha+y^\alpha[/itex] for [itex]x,y\geq 0[/itex] and [itex]0<\alpha<1[/itex].

For that, you must look at the function

[tex]f:\mathbb{R}^+\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow 1+x^\alpha-(1+x)^\alpha[/tex]

Try to show that f is increasing and has its minimum in 0. It follows that [itex]f(x)\geq 0[/itex].