Can Obstacles Enhance the Speed of Incompressible Fluid Flow?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flow Fluid Fluid flow
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Loren Booda
Messages
3,115
Reaction score
4
I believe I heard somewhat of the following thesis on TV:

Take a constant and homogeneous fluid flow, introduce an obstacle, and you can find at least one path connecting original endpoints that is quicker than without the obstacle. Might this be so?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you keep the flow rate, I don't known how it could be different...
 
Loren Booda said:
I believe I heard somewhat of the following thesis on TV:

Take a constant and homogeneous fluid flow, introduce an obstacle, and you can find at least one path connecting original endpoints that is quicker than without the obstacle. Might this be so?
What are the constraints? Constant flow rate, constant head between endpoints...?

Also, when you say "path", do you really mean "streamline"? There's a big difference between the two, and only the latter makes any sense to me.
 
Gokul43201,

I overlooked mentioning that the fluid was incompressible, and approached a constant velocity toward infinity.

"Constant head between endpoints"[?] does not show up on Google except for this thread.

Streamline it is, not path. Thanks for the correction.