Can renewable energy and quantum gravity save humanity?

• Thread starter Svend
  • Start date
In summary, renewable energy and quantum gravity have the potential to greatly benefit humanity. Renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, can help reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and decrease the negative impact on the environment. Additionally, advancements in quantum gravity research could potentially lead to groundbreaking technologies and solutions to some of the world's biggest problems, such as climate change and energy crises. However, further research and development is needed in both areas to fully harness their potential and save humanity.
Svend
Hello Everyone! As this is the introduction page i am encouraged to talk about myself.

As the title says, i am on my last year of bachelors in physics, almost about to graduate (if all goes as planned). My area of interest is in fundamental physics and condensed matter physics. Most of my time has been spent on pondering the fundamental nature of reality, what is beyond the quantum, and space-time, how they are connected? Yes quantum gravity. My ambition has for a long time been to research in unifying quantum theory and general relativity. And i have a tiny hope, that maybe, if we discover the correct quantum description of gravity, it will include hints of how to manipulate gravity in such a way to make it repulsive, and create our own UFO's haha XD.

But seriously, a warp drive, and anti-gravity will be the only long term solution for the survival of humanity in the far future. I mean, someday the sun will expand and engulf the earth, so we will have no choice but to leave here. But that's so far in the future, maybe we will evolve such that we won't even regocnize ourselves as humans anymore?

Anyways, after studying physics for 3 years at university, i have begun to realize that maybe i am not the genious i thought i was, and should leave the search for a quantum description of space-time to the some of the many people who are much more capable than i am in this field.

Seeing as my theoretical endevours would probably come to no avail, i have decided to pursue something which will help humanity survive in a timescale much more short term than long term, i mean, why think about surviving the expanding sun millions of years in the future, if we don't survive the next 100 years? So yes, currently my interests lie in renewable energy and making the world move away from burning fossil fuels, so we can reverse climate change and survive the next 100 years. I know, this is much different from wanting to discover quantum gravity, but the heart wants what it wants right? ;)

Anyways, thank you for reading my post! I hope my ideas and ambitions will be welcomed here on PF!

Sincerely: Svend V. K.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Likes Svend
Hi Svend and :welcome: ! Who knows, maybe you can unify renewable energy AND quantum gravity! Don't sell yourself short, though. I believe it was Stephen Jay Gould who said that there is genius in everyone, and who knows how many people were as smart as Einstein but never had any opportunity to show/use it (no matter what field it was, not just physics). Keep learning and keep thinking, that's an important ticket to human survival. To quote Sylvester McCoy from Doctor Who: "If we live like animals, we die like animals!" Welcome and enjoy the ride!