Can somebody me with this problem

• Thread starter CougarPride
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves using torque and levers to lift a 600lb stone lid. Tom has a 12ft lever attached to the stone at its center of mass and positioned at a 30 degree angle with his hands 6 inches from the end. He needs to determine the correct placement of the axis in order to lift the stone. The problem is discussed in a PowerPoint on torques and the student has sought help from tutoring but is still struggling to understand how to solve it.
CougarPride
This problem involves torque, and levers. I am so stuck on this, I really have no idea where to even begin. The problem states:

"Tom weighs 150lb and he wants to lift a 600lb stone lid form a well. We give him a 12ft, unbreakable lever that has one end attached to the stone (at the COM), and a secure axis. He positions the lever at 30 degrees above horizontal to the ground, and places his hands 6 inches from the end of the lever. He hangs from the lever without "jumping around". Where would he need to place the axis to enable him to lift the stone lid?

I don't even know where to start with this problem. It is in our powerpoint on torques. I tried going to get help for this problem at tutoring, but was still unable to understand how to do the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
why the double post?

Related to Can somebody me with this problem

1. Can somebody help me with this problem?

Yes, I am here to assist you with any problem you may have. Please provide more details about the problem so I can better understand how to help you.

2. How do I find someone to help me with this problem?

There are many resources available for finding help with a problem. You can start by asking a friend or family member, or searching online for forums or communities related to the topic of your problem. You can also consult with a professional or expert in the field for assistance.

3. Is it possible to get help with a problem remotely?

Yes, it is possible to get help with a problem remotely through various methods such as video conferencing, phone calls, or online chat. This can be convenient for both parties and can save time and resources.

4. How can I make sure the person helping me understands my problem?

It is important to clearly communicate the details and specifics of your problem to the person helping you. You can provide any relevant information or context, as well as asking questions to ensure they understand the problem fully.

5. What can I do if I am still struggling with the problem even after getting help?

If you are still struggling with the problem after receiving help, it may be beneficial to seek additional assistance or try a different approach. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification or more guidance from the person helping you, or consider consulting with a different expert or resource for a fresh perspective.