Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone explain Euler angles?

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    Can someone explain "Euler" angles?

From what I read, "Euler" rotations are composed out of matrices like

Code (Text):
    * * 0   1 0 0   * * 0
    * * 0   0 * *   * * 0
    0 0 1   0 * *   0 0 1
    which is pretty distinctive in that they rotate around same axis twice, and makes
    sense for devices like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gimbaleuler.gif
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gyroscope_operation.gif

another property of that, as I read somewhere, is that you can combine these
    matrices in any order, and it kinda makes sense, again, if you look at the device above
    (or does it not....?)

On the other hand, there are Tait-Bryan aka Cardan aka coordinate rotations,
    which have these matrices like

Code (Text):
    1 0 0   * 0 *   * * 0
    0 * *   0 1 0   * * 0
    0 * *   * 0 *   0 0 1
    that are order-dependant.

I was starting to think I am getting it right, but this article puts it under "euler"
    angles (formulas 43 to 54) - what a hell?

Can someone here please explain precise meaning of "Euler" angles?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Rotations in three-space do not commute. For a given rotation, the values of the Euler angles depends not only on the axes but also the order.

These are also called "Euler angles" in some circles. Quoting from the mathworld article:
    There is none. All the term "Euler angles" denotes a sequence of three rotations about a set of axes. Most astronomers use the term "Euler angles" to mean a sequence of right handed rotations about the z axis, then the x axis, and then the z-axis again, but even amongst astronomers that usage is not universal.

4. Jan 27, 2008 #3
    ok, I'm back here after some more reading. looks like consensus euler angles refer to any 3 ordered rotations about different axis every next time, and tait-bryan is just a special case.

someone confused me about the order... in that gyros, rings clearly come one after another, so there is an order. stupid me.

5. Jan 28, 2008 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Goldschmidt has a good discussion of this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?