Euler, Tait-Bryan, Tait, proper, Improper

• A
  • Thread starter Trying2Learn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euler
In summary, when discussing Euler and Tait-Bryan angles, it is important to clarify whether the third axis is repeated or not. Improper rotations occur when the axes are external to the body, while proper rotations occur when the axes are internal to the body. This leads to four possible cases: Improper Euler, Proper Euler, Improper Tait-Bryan, and Proper Tait-Bryan. Additionally, Tait angles may also be referred to as Euler angles, but this is typically in reference to the number of possible rotation sets rather than the distinction between repeated and non-repeated axes. Wikipedia provides a comprehensive explanation of these conventions, but there are still other possibilities that are not addressed. Finally, when discussing planes, Tait-Bryan
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
Euler, Tait-Bryan, Tait, proper, Improper: total confusion
Can I try again?

I have seen (on the web), all these names, DISTINCTLY: Euler, Tait-Bryan, Tait, proper, Improper

I am still trying to make sense of this and am facing some strange naming conventions. I now can see this (the actual math does not concern me--it is only the names that cause me confusion):

There are 12 possible rotations

121 131 212 232 313 323
123 132 213 231 312 321

All are called Euler angles (which is odd to me)

If the third axis is NOT repeated (red ones, above): they are called Tait-Bryan angles
If third one is repeated, they are called Euler angles (YES; USING THE SAME NAME--should this have been called Euler ROTATION PROCESS to distinguish from Euler Angles)

Then there are proper/intrinsic vs improper/extrinsic:

When the rotations are improper/ EXtrinsic: it means they happen about fixed spatial axes (the axes are EXternal to the body)

When the rotations are proper/INtrinsic: it means they happen about fixed spatial axes (the axes are INternal to the body--attached to it)

This suggests FOUR cases:
  1. Improper Euler
  2. Proper Euler
  3. Improper Tait-Bryan
  4. Proper Tait-Bryan

Sometimes, I read about Tait angles (without any mention of Bryan) and some seem to call them Euler, but I assume they are referencing the very nature of angles (12 sets) and not the distinction on whether an axis is repeated. I think.

Can someone comment on this?
I cannot quote a source but so many websites do this.

It seems to me that Wikipedia gets it right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_angles
But they fail to address other possibilities
And they fail to explain how and why each is used (limits, advantages)

Do I have it correctly?

Finally, with planes, we talk about Tait-Bryan, but with a condition: 1-faces forward, 2-to the right and 3-down In other words, these angles are mapped to how planes fly, and the names, in order of the sentence just above this one, is: pitch, yaw, roll

What is the convention with ships?

My head his spinning. ChatGPT, I think, makes this even worse and gets it all wrong.

I now also think that one cannot discuss steady precession when an axis is repeated: it only happens in the BLUE set, above.
In other words, there is no corresponding notion of steady precession with Tait-Bryan because all axes are different.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Naming conventions are just, well, conventions and may depend on the author using them. One just has to make sure to check the definition of the angles used to describe rotations.

1. What is the difference between Euler angles and Tait-Bryan angles?

Euler angles and Tait-Bryan angles are two different ways of representing the orientation of an object in three-dimensional space. Euler angles use three rotations around different axes to describe the orientation, while Tait-Bryan angles use three rotations around the same axis, with each rotation affecting a different plane.

2. What is the difference between Tait-Bryan angles and Tait angles?

Tait-Bryan angles and Tait angles are often used interchangeably, but technically they are slightly different. Tait angles refer specifically to the set of three angles used in the Tait-Bryan convention, while Tait-Bryan angles can also refer to other conventions that use three rotations around different axes.

3. What does it mean for an angle to be "proper" or "improper" in the context of Euler angles?

In Euler angles, the order of rotations can be either "proper" or "improper". A proper rotation means that the axes of rotation remain fixed throughout the rotation, while an improper rotation means that the axes of rotation change during the rotation.

4. How are Euler angles and Tait-Bryan angles used in robotics?

Euler angles and Tait-Bryan angles are commonly used in robotics to describe the orientation of a robot's end effector. This information is crucial for tasks such as path planning and control of the robot's movements.

5. What are some common applications of Tait-Bryan angles?

Tait-Bryan angles are commonly used in aerospace engineering, navigation, and motion capture systems. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to describe the orientation of 3D objects.