Can someone give me an example of these sets to help me understand it better?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding sets of integers A, B, and C that satisfy certain conditions. Two cases are provided: in the first case, A is the set containing 1 and 2, B is the set containing 1, and C is the set containing 2. In the second case, A is the set containing 1, B is the set containing 1 and 2, and C is the set containing 1. These sets are used to demonstrate the desired unions and intersections. The conversation also addresses any potential confusion with the notation used.
hi-liter
Can someone provide me an example of three sets of integers A, B and C such that A[tex]\cup[/tex]B=A[tex]\cup[/tex]C, but B≠C. And also, A[tex]\cap[/tex]B=A[tex]\cap[/tex]C, but B≠C.

Thanks a lot :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Case 1: A={1,2}, B={1}, C={2}.
Case 2: A={1}, B={1,2}, C={1}

Mathman, can you please explain to me how those numbers apply to the statements ?

hi-liter said:
Mathman, can you please explain to me how those numbers apply to the statements ?

Use them to find the unions and intersections around which your first post centered.

hi-liter said:

Do you a problem with the notation? Specifically: A = {1,2} means A is a set with elements 1 and 2. I hope this clarifies it.

1. What are sets in science?

Sets in science refer to a group or collection of items that share a common characteristic or property.

2. How are sets used in scientific research?

Sets are used in scientific research to organize and categorize data, make comparisons, and identify patterns or relationships between different elements.

3. Can you give an example of a set in science?

One example of a set in science is the periodic table of elements, which categorizes different elements based on their properties and atomic structure.

4. How do sets help with understanding complex scientific concepts?

Sets can help with understanding complex scientific concepts by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable groups and identifying similarities and differences between these groups.

5. Are there any real-life applications of sets in science?

Yes, sets are commonly used in real-life applications in fields such as biology, chemistry, and physics to classify organisms, chemicals, and physical phenomena, respectively.