Can someone give me the solution of that trinomial

  • Thread starter Thread starter pendulum
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
pendulum
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
:redface: Can I please have the solution of the trinomial

x^3+(11+(8/3))*x^2+(8/3)*(m+10)*x+(160/3)(m-1)=0

in terms of the unknown variable "t"?

I' ve heard that it can be done in 'mathematica'.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no unknown variable "t". There is an "x" and there is an "m".
 
I don't understand what you mean. I' ve done nothing.
I don't have a mathematica I that's what you are asking.
I don't remember the Horner 'thing' or the polynomial division, and I was wondering if someone could help me.
 
I've attached the maple output, you'll be able to see it as soon as one of the mentors approves it. I just didn't have the energy to format it into tex, anyway, this way there's no chance of transcription error.
 
Attachments
  • math.JPG
    math.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 524
solution

with mathematica
Solve[x^3+(11+(8/3))*x^2+(8/3)*(m+10)*x+(160/3)(m-1)Š0,m]

m -> {160 - 80x - 41x^2 - 3x^3 / 8 (20+x) }
 
nn987 said:
with mathematica
Solve[x^3+(11+(8/3))*x^2+(8/3)*(m+10)*x+(160/3)(m-1)Š0,m]

m -> {160 - 80x - 41x^2 - 3x^3 / 8 (20+x) }
We are solving the equation for x kin terms of m, not for m in terms of x. :)
 
cubic equation

ok :
solved the equation for x in terms of m
 
Attachments
x^3+(11+(8/3))*x^2+(8/3)*(m+10)*x+(160/3)(m-1)=0

x^3+(11+(8/3))*x^2 all this can be written as...a

a+8mx/3+80x/3+160m/3-160/3=0
160/3-80x/3-a=8mx/3+160m/3
160-80x-3a=m(8x+160)


m={160-80x-3[x^3+(11+(8/3))*x^2]}/(8x+160)

and you can simplify it however you please. i don't see the difficulty since the cubic part didn't have an m in it lol.