Can someone please describe physics after year 1?

• Thread starter torquemada
  • Start date
So in the first 2 or 3 semesters of intro physics i know you're grinding into the system of thinking in terms of physics and learning how to approach a problem - to that end you do hundreds of thought provoking examples to hone your skills so that you don't just plug and chug but actually learn how to reason through any word problem thrown at you. That being said, is a physics degree 4 years of that? Or are intermediate and upper level courses more focused on theory and proofs and lots of math too i'm sure, but not a grind-like approach involving tons of problems? The more detail the better I'm looking for a comprehensive description if possible. Thx :)

Answers and Replies

fss
Generally as you move up in your classes you have less problems, but they become much more difficult. Prepare to spend hours haranguing over that one problem that still eludes you after solving the other 5 in the set in "only" 10 hours. And that's just for one class.

kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
do yourself a favor and learn everything about the harmonic oscillator now

Pengwuino
Gold Member
do yourself a favor and learn everything about the harmonic oscillator now

Lawls.

Oh wait, that's the most true statement I've ever heard in my life.

And learn what symmetry means.

And don't forget Lorentz invariance the first commandment of any theory although that comes into symmetry