Can Someone please explain what i'm looking for?

• Thread starter kpangrace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, to take a sharp picture of a bird's image reflected in a plane mirror, you must set the focus of your camera lens to the distance of all of the red line, which can be calculated using the laws of reflection.
kpangrace
You are trying to photograph a bird sitting on a tree branch, but a tall hedge is blocking your view. However, as the drawing shows, a plane mirror reflects light from the bird into your camera. If x = 3.1 m and y = 4.0 m in the drawing, for what distance must you set the focus of the camera lens in order to snap a sharp picture of the bird's image?

p25-06alt.gif

Ok so all i need to find out is what exactly do they mean about setting the focus to get the sharpest picture... am i just looking for the length of all of the red line? that's what I'm assuming but i want to be sure... or is it just part of the red line? anyone want to answer this simple question for me!?:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
kpangrace said:
... am i just looking for the length of all of the red line?
That's it. That's the distance the light travels from object to camera. You'll have to use your knowledge of the laws of reflection to find that distance.

Hi there,

To get the sharpest picture of the bird's image, you need to set the focus of your camera lens to the distance between the bird and the plane mirror, which is represented by the red line in the drawing. In this case, the distance is 3.1 m + 4.0 m = 7.1 m. This means that you need to set your lens to focus at a distance of 7.1 m in order to capture a clear image of the bird's reflection in the mirror.

I hope this helps clarify things for you! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is the purpose of asking someone to explain what I'm looking for?

Asking someone to explain what you're looking for is a way to gain a better understanding of a concept, idea, or object that you are trying to find or comprehend. It allows for clarification and can help to improve your knowledge and problem-solving skills.

2. How do I know if I'm looking for the right thing?

To determine if you are looking for the right thing, it is important to have a clear understanding of what you are searching for. You can achieve this by asking specific and detailed questions, doing research, and seeking guidance from experts or knowledgeable individuals.

3. Can someone else's explanation of what I'm looking for be different from mine?

Yes, it is possible for someone else's explanation of what you're looking for to be different from yours. Everyone has their own perspective and understanding of things, and it is important to consider multiple viewpoints to gain a well-rounded understanding.

4. How can I explain what I'm looking for more clearly to someone else?

To explain what you're looking for more clearly to someone else, it is important to organize your thoughts and communicate them in a clear and concise manner. It can also be helpful to use visual aids, such as diagrams or examples, to further clarify your explanation.

5. What resources can I use to help me understand what I'm looking for?

There are many resources available to help you understand what you're looking for, such as books, articles, videos, and tutorials. You can also seek guidance from experts or consult with peers who have a better understanding of the subject matter. Additionally, conducting your own research and experimentation can also aid in your understanding.