Can someone spot the error in the question?

• Thread starter lioric
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, there were multiple errors in the conversation regarding hydrated copper sulfate. The errors included stating that it was gray, attempting to melt it over a flame which causes decomposition, and an error in the mass in part d. The student pointed out the error in the mass and it was assumed to be a typo from the teacher. The question paper itself was copied from an olevel paper and had multiple mistakes. However, the question was well-written if the mistakes were corrected.
lioric
TL;DR Summary
This is a question from a local exam paper.
I can see a huge error in the question
Can someone confirm this error.
IMG_20190609_191325__01.jpg

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, you made an error saying that hydrated copper sulfate was gray:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_sulfate
You also made an error when you said you were going to melt copper sulfate over a flame (it decomposes to sulfur trioxide and copper oxide without melting).

But yes, there seems to be an error in the mass in part d. I'm assuming that's what you were talking about.

TeethWhitener said:
But yes, there seems to be an error in the mass in part d. I'm assuming that's what you were talking about.

Yes. I wanted to make sure that it was a typo that the teacher made
Also look at the last answer
Technically the student is correct. Since amount of water lost was to be divided by the total mass in the beginning of the question.
It's not the student's fault that the numerator is greater than the denominator. That happened because of the typo in the question.

BTW this is the question paper of my student. I helped her study for her high school exam.
If it was me, I would have complained about the question in the exam Hall. I wouldn't have written the answer to the wrong question.

I’m a bit surprised that the percent in part (e) they’d be interested in is a mass percent. If you convert the masses to moles, you find that there are 5 waters per CuSO4 molar unit, which is actually the case for hydrated copper sulfate. It’s a well-written question if you get rid of the mistakes.

TeethWhitener said:
I’m a bit surprised that the percent in part (e) they’d be interested in is a mass percent. If you convert the masses to moles, you find that there are 5 waters per CuSO4 molar unit, which is actually the case for hydrated copper sulfate. It’s a well-written question if you get rid of the mistakes.
Of course it's well written it was copied from an olevel paper. The teacher just changed the substance and masses.

What do you mean by "spot the error"?

By "spot the error", we mean identifying and pointing out any grammatical, spelling, or logical errors in a given question or statement.

Why is it important to spot errors in a question?

Spotting errors in a question is important because it ensures clear and accurate communication. Errors in a question can lead to misunderstandings and incorrect conclusions.

Can a question have more than one error?

Yes, a question can have multiple errors. It is important to carefully review and analyze a question to identify and correct all errors.

What are some common errors found in questions?

Some common errors found in questions include subject-verb agreement, incorrect word usage, and missing or misplaced punctuation.

How can I improve my ability to spot errors in questions?

Improving your ability to spot errors in questions requires practice and attention to detail. It can also be helpful to read and review grammar and writing resources to familiarize yourself with common errors and how to identify them.