Can spellcheck be turned off in the post editor?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter PeterDonis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of the automatic spellchecker on a forum often misspelling technical terms in physics and cosmology. The user is wondering if there is a way to turn off this feature and suggests ignoring the spellchecker's suggestions. Another user points out that the spellchecker can also catch inadvertent typos, but the first user believes that they rarely make those mistakes and would be fine with turning off the spellchecker in their personal preferences. The conversation ends with a note about the spellchecker being a browser-dependent feature.
I find that the automatic spellchecker insists on misspelling a number of technical terms in common use in physics (or at least in relativity and cosmology, which is where I post most often). For example, it insists on "commoving" instead of "comoving" and "worldliness" instead of "worldlines". Is there a way to turn this feature off?

Physics news on Phys.org
? Why not just ignore the spellchecker's suggestions?

It doesn't force those changes does it? And they're not in the output.
At least with the spellchecker on, it'll catch your inadvertent typos.

DaveC426913 said:
It doesn't force those changes does it?

Yes--at least it does when I'm typing in the post editor. I have to manually go back and correct the "corrections"; I don't get asked whether to accept them or not.

DaveC426913 said:
At least with the spellchecker on, it'll catch your inadvertent typos.

I never make those. :wink:

Actually, in all seriousness, the number of times I have had to correct the spellchecker's "corrections" is far higher than the number of times I have made an inadvertent typo. So I would be fine with having the spellchecker turned off in my personal preferences. If it had to be turned off for everybody on PF all at once, that would be different.

Oh.
How can I duplicate this? I'm using the editor and I see no spell checks.

DaveC426913 said:
It's a browser thing.

I probably should have expected that. :rolleyes:

Fixed now. Thanks!

1. Can I turn off spellcheck in the post editor?

Yes, you can turn off spellcheck in the post editor. This can typically be done in the settings or preferences section of the editor. Alternatively, you can also disable spellcheck for a specific document by changing the language settings.

2. Why would I want to turn off spellcheck?

Some people may prefer to turn off spellcheck in the post editor if they are writing in a language that is not supported by the editor's dictionary. Others may find the constant corrections or suggestions to be distracting while writing.

3. Will turning off spellcheck affect my grammar and punctuation checks?

It depends on the specific editor or program you are using. In some cases, spelling, grammar, and punctuation checks are all bundled together, so turning off one will disable all of them. In other cases, you may be able to turn off spellcheck specifically while leaving the other checks on.

4. Can I still use spellcheck in other programs while it is turned off in the post editor?

Yes, turning off spellcheck in the post editor does not affect the spellcheck functionality in other programs. However, if you are using a program or tool that relies on the post editor's spellcheck, then it may not work properly if it is disabled.

5. How do I know if spellcheck is turned off in the post editor?

The best way to check if spellcheck is turned off in the post editor is to open a document or start typing in the editor. If you do not see any red or green underlines on words, then spellcheck is likely turned off. You can also check the settings or preferences to confirm if it has been disabled.