Can T helper cells produce interferon during HIV infection?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sinjan.j
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cells
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
sinjan.j
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
HIV completes the life cycle and finally causes the breaks down the T helper cells. During this process, are the T helper cells capable of producing interferon? Just curious. Tried to do some research, but couldn't understand what I read. So, kindly explain in a simplified language.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
I believe they can yes, but interferon is not the magic bullet that scientists once hoped it was. If I remember correctly when interferon was first discovered there was great hope that it could be synthesised and administered as an anti-viral panacea but unfortunately that is not the case. Interferon efficacy is not perfect and tenacious viruses like HIV are able to survive.