Can the following be solved algebraically?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Bushy
  • Start date
In summary, the solution to the equation $3^{2x}=12x-3$ is $x=\frac{1}{2},1$, and you can arrive at this solution by setting $3^x=3$ and $3^x=3^{\frac{1}{2}}$ and solving for $x$ using basic algebra.
Bushy
I noticed the solution to

\(\displaystyle 3^{2x} = 12x-3\) is \(\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{2},1\)

is there a way I can arrive here with a bit of simple algebra?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Bushy said:
I noticed the solution to

\(\displaystyle 3^{2x} = 12x-3\) is \(\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{2},1\)

is there a way I can arrive here with a bit of simple algebra?

Hi Bushy,

Your observation is sharp and correct. We know the graph of $y=3^{2x}$ and $y=12x-3$ will intersect at most twice, and so, by observation, $x=\frac{1}{2},\,1$ are the correct $x$-coordinate of the point of intersections.

But, if you want to convince people how you arrived at the solution, you might want to try the following:

$3^{2x}= 12x-3$

$3^x \cdot 3^x= 3^1(4x-1)$

If we let $3^x=3^1$ which implies $x=1$, then we see that $3^1=4(1)-1=3$ therefore $x=1$ is a solution.

$3^{x}= \sqrt{12x-3}$

$3^x = \sqrt{3}\sqrt{4x-1}=3^{\frac{1}{2}}\sqrt{4x-1}$

Similarly, if we let $3^x=3^{\frac{1}{2}}$ which suggests $x=\frac{1}{2}$, we have $1=\sqrt{4(\frac{1}{2})-1}=1$, thus, $x=\frac{1}{2}$ is the other solution.

1. Can quadratic equations be solved algebraically?

Yes, quadratic equations can be solved algebraically using the quadratic formula or by factoring.

2. Is it possible to solve systems of equations algebraically?

Yes, systems of equations can be solved algebraically using various methods such as substitution, elimination, and graphing.

3. Can logarithmic equations be solved algebraically?

Yes, logarithmic equations can be solved algebraically by using logarithmic properties and algebraic manipulation.

4. Is it feasible to solve exponential equations algebraically?

Yes, exponential equations can be solved algebraically by taking the logarithm of both sides and using logarithmic properties.

5. Can radical equations be solved algebraically?

Yes, radical equations can be solved algebraically by isolating the radical and raising both sides to a power to eliminate the radical.