1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can the Planck equation be derived by considering phonons?

1. Jul 19, 2016 #1
    As far as I understand, phonons are just thermal vibrations of atoms in a lattice and blackbody radiation is just the radiation emittied due to thermal oscillations accelerating the atoms back and forth. Is there any example of a derivation of the planck equation from considering black body radiation as a combination of these two principles?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jul 26, 2016 #3
    The phonons in a solid at thermal equilibrium follow the Plank distribution as well.
    I don't see what are the "two principles" you mention in the OP.
    The Plank distribution ca be derived from quantum statistical considerations, applied to bosons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted