Can the Roman Empire and the United States be compared through literature?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pentazoid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
65 replies · 21K views
SW VandeCarr said:
Well, this article essentially dismisses the idea of Jesus in Tibet.

i know, that's why i posted it. although i think the idea is interesting because of what i see as philosophical overlap, i don't much buy the story that notovitch wrote.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


tiny-tim said:
Socrates (Roman ambassador to the court of Alexander the Small, ruler of Asia Minor) said something like "Who is wise? Only he who is aware of his own ignorance."
I know you're likely not being serious but I'm afraid you hurt me and I must correct you in order to feel better. Socrates was a greek from Athens who died before Alexander was born. Aristotle was the tutor to Alexander the Great, and was also from Athens. All of this happened before Rome was even a minor power, and may not have even been founded.

None of this is controversial and is available on wikipedia and at your local public library
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great
 
1. No, Aristotle was from Stageira, not Athens.
2. Already in the late 5th century, Rome was the major power in Latium (a tiny area in Italy)
3. During the latter half of the 4th century (after a setback due to the Gaulish sack in 390 BC), Rome was embroiled in the Samnite wars, i.e, contesting for the hegemony of Italy.
 
I recommend starting with some original readings such as Caesar's Gallic Wars (Part I). Better than some textbook.
 
Or you could stick to the classics
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51T2CC10AML._SL500_AA240_.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator: