Can this forum help me improve my word problem skills?

• MHB
  • Thread starter nycmathdad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed using a forum to improve skills in solving word problems, particularly in mathematics. The conversation also delved into solving various word problems, including one involving spider marriage and another with priests praying together. The conversation also mentioned a question in one user's signature, which involved a simple ratio problem. The solution to the problem was provided, along with a similar problem involving a man and his wife drinking a cask of wine in different amounts of time. The final solution was determined to be 46 and 2/3 days for the wife to drink the cask alone.
nycmathdad
I have decided to use this forum mainly to increase my word problems skills. Of course, I will make use of this forum for mathematics in general but word problems set up will be my main focus. I hope to see your reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
Beer soaked non sequitur ramblings follow.
nycmathdad said:
I ...
Spider marriage is complicated. Sometimes, you just got to mind your own biz.

jonah said:
Beer soaked non sequitur ramblings follow.

Spider marriage is complicated. Sometimes, you just got to mind your own biz.

I love the question in your signature. It seems like a simple ratio problem. If we set up each ratio as "Proportion of Cask" : "Days"

Man
1 : 20
1/20 : 1

Woman
1 : x
1/x : 1

Together
1/20 + 1/x : 1
(x + 20)/(20x) : 1
1 : (20x)/(x + 20)

But the Together ratio is 1 : 14, so

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{20\,x}{x + 20} &= 14 \\
20\,x &= 14 \left( x + 20 \right) \\
20\,x &= 14\,x + 280 \\
6\,x &= 280 \\
x &= 46\,\frac{2}{3} \end{align*}$

So it will take the woman 46 hours and 40 minutes to finish the cask on her own.

I think I did this before, but since Prove It brings it up:
" If one priest can pray a soul out of purgatory in 5 hours, while it takes a second priest 8 hours, how long will it take if the two priests pray together?"

So one priest prays at the rate of "one soul per 5 hours"" or "1/5 soul per hour" and the other at the rate of "one soul per eight hours" or "1/8 soul per hour". When they pray together, their rates add (I think that's stated in the bible) so 1/5+ 1/8= 8/40+ 5/40= 13/40". So it will require 40/13= 3 and 1/40 hour= 3 hours and 1.5 minutes.

Beer soaked ramblings follow.
Prove It said:
I love the question in your signature. It seems like a simple ratio problem. If we set up each ratio as "Proportion of Cask" : "Days"

Man
1 : 20
1/20 : 1

Woman
1 : x
1/x : 1

Together
1/20 + 1/x : 1
(x + 20)/(20x) : 1
1 : (20x)/(x + 20)

But the Together ratio is 1 : 14, so

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{20\,x}{x + 20} &= 14 \\
20\,x &= 14 \left( x + 20 \right) \\
20\,x &= 14\,x + 280 \\
6\,x &= 280 \\
x &= 46\,\frac{2}{3} \end{align*}$

So it will take the woman 46 hours and 40 minutes to finish the cask on her own.
Country Boy said:
I think I did this before, but since Prove It brings it up:
" If one priest can pray a soul out of purgatory in 5 hours, while it takes a second priest 8 hours, how long will it take if the two priests pray together?"

So one priest prays at the rate of "one soul per 5 hours"" or "1/5 soul per hour" and the other at the rate of "one soul per eight hours" or "1/8 soul per hour". When they pray together, their rates add (I think that's stated in the bible) so 1/5+ 1/8= 8/40+ 5/40= 13/40". So it will require 40/13= 3 and 1/40 hour= 3 hours and 1.5 minutes.
It amazes me that people who took the time to solve my two preposterous signature questions were able to control their laughter after seeing them for the first time.
Timios and Skipjack have also took a shot at them at
https://mathforums.com/goto/post?id=601053
Soroban at
Hello, jonah1!
A man drink a cask of wine in 20 days.
If his wife drinks with him, it take only 14 days.
How long does it take for the wife alone?
The man drinks the cask in 20 days.
In one day, he can drink $\frac{1}{20}$ of the cask.
. . In 14 days, he can drink $\frac{14}{20} \,=\,\frac{7}{10}$ of the cask.
The woman drinks the cask in $x$ days (alone).
In one day, she can drink $\frac{1}{x}$ of the cask.
. . In 14 days, she can drink $\frac{14}{x}$ of the cask.
Together, in 14 days, they can drink $\frac{7}{10} + \frac{14}{x}$ of the cask.
But we are told: together, in 14 days, they will drink the cask (one cask).
There is our equation! . . . $\frac{7}{10} + \frac{14}{x} \;=\;1$
Go for it!

Frick at
I have looked at these for so long, I just can't stand it any more:
A man can drink a cask of wine in 20 days, but if his wife drinks with him it will take only 14 days—how long would it take for the wife alone?
When two people, or machines, etc. do something together, their rates add. Let the number of days the wife would take to drink a caskof wine be "x". Then her rate is $\frac{1}{x}$ "days per cask. Her husband's rate is $\frac{1}{20}$ and their rate together is $\frac{1}{14}$. We have $\frac{1}{x}+ \frac{1}{20}= \frac{1}{14}$. Multiply by the least common multiple of the denominators, 140x.
$140+7x=10x$
$140=3x$
$x=\frac{140}{3}$.
It would take the wife, alone, 46 and 2/3 days to drink the cask of wine.(I shall start experimenting to see how long it will take me to drink a cask of wine!)
If one priest can pray a soul out of purgatory in 5 hours, while it takes a second priest 8 hours, how long will it take if the two priests pray together?
This is even simpler, almost an arithmetic problem. The first priest prays at the rate $\frac{1}{5}$ "soul per hour" and the second priest prays at the rate of $\frac{1}{8}$ "soul per hour". Together they pray at the rate of $\frac{1}{5}+ \frac{1}{8}=\frac{8}{40}+ \frac{5}{40}= \frac{13}{40}$ "soul per hour". Together it would take $\frac{40}{13}$ or 3 and 1/13 "hour per soul".

Last edited:
nycmathdad said:
I have decided to use this forum mainly to increase my word problems skills. Of course, I will make use of this forum for mathematics in general but word problems set up will be my main focus. I hope to see your reply.
Don't post your personal opinions in the Chat Room and you'll probably do just fine.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Don't post your personal opinions in the Chat Room and you'll probably do just fine.

-Dan

he’s already been banned …

skeeter said:
he’s already been banned …
Wow. I've been away for a while!

-Dan

I would be inclined to think that "pounds of word problems" would be enough!

1. How can this forum help me improve my word problem skills?

This forum is a platform for individuals to ask and answer questions related to word problems. By engaging in discussions and seeking help from others, you can gain a better understanding of problem-solving strategies and learn from others' approaches to solving word problems. Additionally, you can receive personalized feedback on your own problem-solving techniques.

2. Are there any specific resources or tools available on this forum to improve my word problem skills?

Yes, many forums have dedicated sections or threads where users can share helpful resources such as practice problems, tips and tricks, and instructional videos. You can also use the search function to find previously asked questions and their corresponding solutions, which can serve as valuable learning materials.

3. Can I get help with any type of word problem on this forum?

Yes, most forums have a wide range of topics and categories, so you can find help with various types of word problems such as math, science, finance, and more. You can also specify the subject or topic in your question to get more targeted responses.

4. How can I make the most out of this forum to improve my word problem skills?

Aside from actively participating in discussions and seeking help, you can also benefit from reading and analyzing other users' solutions to problems. This can give you insight into different problem-solving approaches and improve your critical thinking skills.

5. Is this forum suitable for all levels of word problem skills?

Yes, forums are open to everyone, regardless of their skill level. You can find questions and answers from beginner to advanced levels, so you can start with simpler problems and gradually move on to more challenging ones as you improve your skills.