Can u play Divx on a PS3 and can you download PS3 games for free?

• Thread starter jankovic04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary, the first question is about watching DivX video streams online, and the answer suggests using a proxy or streaming from a computer using media transcoding software. The second question is about downloading and installing games on the PS3, and the answer warns against illegal methods and suggests using a game rental service as a cheaper and legal alternative.
jankovic04
Alrighty number 1 , can i watch DivX video streams online? like when i go to a website such as "Stage6" all the vids are DivX but i can't play any because it says the video format or player isn't supported or something along those lines. I recently was moving house n packed my PS3 in its box which said it was DivX Certified, and it also had some on damand movies service (Rent, for sale etc.). So why doesn't it let me watch those videos?

Question 2, its annoying how you have to pay for PS3 games now that most of them cost £40 minimum on release. So can i download the installation file for game so i can download them to my HDD. and is it true that all your trophy numbers don't go up after you do this.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I don't have a PS3 so I can't really help with your first question. As for the second question, that I can answer.

Can you do it legally? No, and if any console companies, whether it be microsoft, sony or nintendo, catch you they will ban you from their online services if they find you playing a cracked game.

If you don't care about the legal ramifications (which are far more severe than those involving music), check torrent sites. Any kind of "fringe legality" sites have a chance of having games. I do not recommend doing this since your ISP will probably find out and slap a huge fine on you

For question 2...

use a proxy, find it on piratebay, download it with utorrent or bittorrent, or if it's an iso file you should use magicdisk to mount it

As far as I know, PS3 can play DIVX. Check through the system options for any DIVX support options (for some reason there are options to disable certain features).

If that doesn't work, at the very least you can install something like TVersity or Mediatomb on your computer and stream the media to your PS3. It will transcode the media in real time to a playable format. That will work for sure, I have a couple on my computer myself.

As for the second question. Seeing as how threads have gotten closed regarding DVD backing up, I doubt you'll get anywhere. In the meantime, as far as I know though, the PS3 hasn't been cracked. In the last week or so, they've used the controller to enable emulator playback, although I'm not sure if backups have been done yet. This won't be the place to find that information though.

As for the downloading thing, other than the ethical problem of STEALING games, you would need a modified PS3 which could be dangerous to your hardware. Even if you mod it successfully, Sony could develop a system update that would automatically ban you from their services, or even brick your system completely (not to mention other possible legal action). Not sure if you have Gamefly type service where you live, but that's a much cheaper legal alternative (or just wait a bit on new games and buy used online).

1. Can I play Divx on a PS3?

Yes, the PS3 supports Divx videos as long as they are encoded properly. You can also download the Divx codec for free from the PlayStation Store.

2. Do I need any additional software to play Divx on my PS3?

In most cases, no. As long as your PS3 has the latest system update and the Divx codec, you should be able to play Divx videos without any additional software.

3. Can I download PS3 games for free?

It is not legal to download PS3 games for free. Games must be purchased from the PlayStation Store or from a physical retailer. Downloading games for free is considered piracy and can result in legal consequences.

4. Are there any free PS3 games available?

Yes, there are some free games available on the PlayStation Store. These games are typically smaller indie games or demos of larger games. However, the selection of free games is limited and most games must be purchased.

5. Can I download PS3 games directly to my console?

Yes, you can download games directly to your PS3 from the PlayStation Store. However, you must have an internet connection and enough free space on your console to download and store the game.