Can vegetarian meals be tasty and affordable?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
166 replies · 28K views
Monique said:
Made this for a guest and was approved :smile:: Spicy potatoes served with black eyed peas, which are covered by a curry of mushrooms in tomatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes and mushrooms with fresh coriander to finish.
That sounds incredible, I'm going to have to make it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, I actually bought a little booklet and started writing down some of the stuff I make on a regular basis, I rarely follow a recipe anymore. Right now it's filling up with vegetables I've never cooked before, from my mothers cookbook that I borrowed. I don't even know the english names: knolselderij, pastinaken, meiknolletjes, schorseneren, ramenas, koolraap, koolrabi, rabarber, raapstelen, postelein, zuring.
 
wolram said:
1/4 cup EVOO {extra virgin olive oil} :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
What's so funny? They really do call it EVOO.
 
koolrabi = kohlrabi (I think...sounds like it probably is) I like it raw in salads, somewhat like a radish flavor.

rabarber = rhubarb (I was able to confirm that one http://www.flyswatter.com/nawc/fruitsveggies.htm )

I can't even guess at the others.
 
OK, I just whipped myself up a yummy dinner.. but something is missing. It's a colorful salad with cubes of diced cucumber, chick peas, whole pitted black olives, and grape tomatoes all tossed in red wine vinaigrette with a teaspoon of crushed garlic.

I think the missing ingredient is chopped red onion. Any other recommendations?
 
Oh no! You forgot ham, lemon juice (I like lots! instead of dressing, because I don't like it), shredded cheeses, and parmesan.
 
Math Is Hard said:
OK, I just whipped myself up a yummy dinner.. but something is missing. It's a colorful salad with cubes of diced cucumber, chick peas, whole pitted black olives, and grape tomatoes all tossed in red wine vinaigrette with a teaspoon of crushed garlic.

I think the missing ingredient is chopped red onion. Any other recommendations?

I like fruit with salad, may be pineapple or orange, i know you super cooks
think I am bonkers :-p but i like it
 
Ohhhh this is the vegetarian thread... well in that case don't use the ham, and if you're pias, only use the lemon juice. You can add in a half a teaspoon of baking soda to get rid of that unpleasant smell in your breath afterwards. It works in refrigerators!
 
Mk said:
Oh no! You forgot ham, lemon juice (I like lots! instead of dressing, because I don't like it), shredded cheeses, and parmesan.

OH no! I am so busted. I just went and put some ham in it. How did you know? :redface: :redface:
Oh, dear, the veg police are on to me! They see everything! :eek: :cry:
 
Last edited:
wolram said:
I like fruit with salad, may be pineapple or orange, i know you super cooks
think I am bonkers :-p but i like it
I have a thing for grapes and bleu cheese in a salad. Still trying to find the right recipe though.
 
Math Is Hard said:
I have a thing for grapes and bleu cheese in a salad. Still trying to find the right recipe though.

I love blue cheese but I cannot imagine grapes in my salad. we are talking about the kind of salad you eat right?
 
Invented a soup today (enough for two):

3 red bell peppers
1 red onion
1 large tomato
1 cube vegetable stock
1 inch skinless cucumber

Roast the bell peppers under the oven grill.

Fry onion in pan, add tomato.
Add the roasted bell peppers, black skin removed.
Add a cup of water and the bouillon cube and let everything simmer.
Blend until smooth, add water to get a creamy texture.

Chop up an inch of cucumber (without skin) into very small cubes.
Add to the soup, for a fresh bite.

DELICIOUS! :biggrin:
 
Monique said:
I don't even know the english names: knolselderij, pastinaken, meiknolletjes, schorseneren, ramenas, koolraap, koolrabi, rabarber, raapstelen, postelein, zuring.
Moonbear said:
koolrabi = kohlrabi (I think...sounds like it probably is) I like it raw in salads, somewhat like a radish flavor.

rabarber = rhubarb (I was able to confirm that one http://www.flyswatter.com/nawc/fruitsveggies.htm )

I can't even guess at the others.

Try google's Image search, it seems to work for most of them. Ex: For "Zuring", image search led me to http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dzuring%26sm%3DYahoo%2521%2BSearch%26toggle%3D1%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3DFP-tab-web-t&h=160&w=160&imgcurl=www.neerlandstuin.nl%2Fpics6%2Fzuring2.jpg&imgurl=www.neerlandstuin.nl%2Fpics6%2Fzuring2.jpg&size=7.3kB&name=zuring2.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neerlandstuin.nl%2Fplanten%2Fzuring.html&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neerlandstuin.nl%2Fplanten%2Fzuring.html&p=zuring&type=jpeg&no=1&tt=34&ei=UTF-8 page in the Netherlands, with photographs and the scientific, Rumex acetosa, which of course is common Sorrel.

wolram said:
I am saving all these pages for future use, can Monique, Evo, or Moobear suggest a list of spices and herbs to store please.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What's tasty on bread?

My favorite:
peanut butter with a generous amount of sambal and slices of cucumber
 
Between http://www.hri.ac.uk/enveg/data/raw/vegdata.htm , I've been doing a lot of translating today:

Nederlands / Scientific / English
knolselderij / Apium graveolens var. rapaceum / celeriac
pastinaken / Pastinaca sativa / parsnip
meiknolletjes - ?
schorseneren/ Scorzonera hispanica / black salsify, 'black oyster plant', 'serpent root', 'viper's grass'; a photo http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b-online/schaugarten/ScorzonerahispanicaL/Black_salsify.html
ramenas / Raphanus sativus / radish
koolraap / Brassica napus / rutabaga, swedish turnip, yellow turnip
koolrabi / Brassica oleracea var. gongylodes / kohlrabi (the German name)
rabarber / Rheum rhabarbarum / rhubarb (Moonbear got this one before me)
raapstelen / (?) Brassica rapa var. rapa / my guess is a turnip? (raap-)
postelein / Portulaca oleracea syn. Portulaca sativa / purslane, 'pusley', 'little hogweed'
zuring / Rumex acetosa / common sorrel

Hope this helps! Links are all to wikipedia articles (English versions).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
What's tasty on bread?

My favorite:
peanut butter with a generous amount of sambal and slices of cucumber

Black current jelly, strong cheese, lettuce and cucumber

Garlic bread just on its own
 
I made a ginger cake today, when it was cooking it did not smell right, but
i thought it was just my sense of smell, i have just tried a peice, it is awful
and i have found out why, i used garam masala instead of soft brown sugar
:cry: :blushing: