Can Venus be seen during the day from sea level right now?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter BenAS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Venus
In summary: Denver has been able to spot Venus with the naked eye in the middle of the day for the past couple of days. He is curious about how common this is and if it can be seen from sea level currently. Although there is not much information on Google, it is possible to spot Venus during the day if you know where to look. The best times to see it are when it is at its greatest elongation from the sun and not directly behind or in front of it. The Stellarium program can help determine the best viewing times and location in relation to the sun.
BenAS
The last couple of days I have been able to spot Venus with the naked eye in the middle of the day. I'm in Denver Colorado, just curious as to how often this happens and if it's visible from sea level during the day right now. I can't find much about on Google.

Likes davenn
Astronomy news on Phys.org
BenAS said:
The last couple of days I have been able to spot Venus with the naked eye in the middle of the day. I'm in Denver Colorado, just curious as to how often this happens and if it's visible from sea level during the day right now. I can't find much about on Google.

yup ... well done,
if you know where to look and it's usually not too far from the sun. Of course you won't see it if it is behind the sun in its orbit ( from our perspective) and likewise if between the sun and us. the best times are when it's at greatest elongation from the sun ( furthest out to either side) where the sun glare isn't so bad.
In years gone bye it was always a fav daytime activity at astronomy club camps

Stellarium program will show you the best times to look for Venus and where it is in relation to the sun
here's a screen dump from Stellarium for my location today Fri 17th Feb
You can see that the sun is in the low western sky and Venus is up and to the right

upload_2017-2-17_17-53-49.png
Dave

1. What is "Venus in broad daylight"?

"Venus in broad daylight" refers to the phenomenon where the planet Venus is visible in the sky during daylight hours.

2. Why is Venus sometimes visible during the day?

Venus is the second planet from the sun and is closer to the sun than Earth. This means that at certain points in its orbit, Venus appears brighter and can be seen in the sky even during the day.

3. How can I see Venus in broad daylight?

To see Venus in broad daylight, you will need to know its current position in the sky and have clear skies. It is also helpful to use a telescope or binoculars to see Venus more clearly.

4. Is it safe to look directly at Venus during the day?

Yes, it is safe to look directly at Venus during the day. Unlike the sun, Venus does not emit enough light to cause damage to the eyes.

5. Can I see Venus in broad daylight from anywhere on Earth?

Yes, Venus can be seen in broad daylight from any location on Earth, as long as the conditions are right and Venus is in a visible position in the sky.