Can we observe anything beyond the CMB 'wall'?

• B
  • Thread starter Cerenkov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmb Wall
In summary, the CMB "wall" prevents observation of the very early universe, prior to 380,000 years after the Big Bang, due to the scattering of photons by super-heated plasma. However, density fluctuations, gravitational waves, and primordial neutrinos can still provide meaningful information about the inflationary epoch and Big Bang Nucleosynthesis. The CMB is optically 'thick' to all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation, but not to particles like neutrinos.
Cerenkov
Hello.

http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/distance/frontiers/cmb/node10.htm
The above article refers to the CMB "wall" in sections 2.4.2 and 2.4.2.1. It's my current understanding that this wall prevents observation of the very early universe; i.e, earlier than 380,000 years after the Big Bang. I also understand (I hope, correctly) that this is because photons from these earlier epochs are strongly scattered by the super-heated plasma. Thus the CMB is optically 'thick'. See section 2.1.1., Blackbody radiation.
Would it be possible for my understanding to be checked and confirmed/corrected, please? Thank you.

I also have two other questions relating to the CMB wall.
This article... http://inspirehep.net/record/827549/plots ...features the following diagram.

1567626673336.png

As you can see, the CMB is displayed as a kind of wall, albeit one that permits certain types of information to pass through it.
I read this diagram to mean that density fluctuations and gravitational waves can carry meaningful information to us about the inflationary epoch. Also, that primordial neutrinos can carry meaningful information to us about Big Bang Nucleosynthesis.

My questions are these.
1. Could my reading of this diagram please be checked and confirmed/corrected? Thank you.
2. Am I right to conclude that the CMB is optically 'thick' to all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation?

Thank you for any help given.

Cerenkov.

Space news on Phys.org
Cerenkov said:
Hello.

http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/distance/frontiers/cmb/node10.htm
The above article refers to the CMB "wall" in sections 2.4.2 and 2.4.2.1. It's my current understanding that this wall prevents observation of the very early universe; i.e, earlier than 380,000 years after the Big Bang. I also understand (I hope, correctly) that this is because photons from these earlier epochs are strongly scattered by the super-heated plasma. Thus the CMB is optically 'thick'. See section 2.1.1., Blackbody radiation.
Would it be possible for my understanding to be checked and confirmed/corrected, please? Thank you.

I also have two other questions relating to the CMB wall.
This article... http://inspirehep.net/record/827549/plots ...features the following diagram.

View attachment 249161

As you can see, the CMB is displayed as a kind of wall, albeit one that permits certain types of information to pass through it.
I read this diagram to mean that density fluctuations and gravitational waves can carry meaningful information to us about the inflationary epoch. Also, that primordial neutrinos can carry meaningful information to us about Big Bang Nucleosynthesis.

My questions are these.
1. Could my reading of this diagram please be checked and confirmed/corrected? Thank you.
2. Am I right to conclude that the CMB is optically 'thick' to all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation?

Thank you for any help given.

Cerenkov.
1. Your reading of diagram is correct
2. Shorter wavelengths of EM spectrum do bring information from earlier epoch, but difference in universe age in different EM bands is small - free electrons which scattered most of CMB light do scatter in broad spectrum, and their concentration fell pretty abruptly at recombination epoch

Many thanks for your reply, trurle.

Cerenkov.

Cerenkov said:
Yes, matter was a plasma before. It is thin (essentially non-existent) for gravitational waves and neutrinos, however. They give direct access to the first few seconds.

Big Bang Observer
PTOLEMY

Thank you, mfb.

I had (sort of) figured out that all EM radiation was blocked by the CMB 'wall', but needed to check here at PF to make sure.

Those links are very interesting and I'll be looking further into them asap.

Thanks again.

Cerenkov.

From what I understand, what you said is correct. The CMB is a wall that we can not see behind using light. You are also correct that it's only an optical limit and particles like neutrinos should be able to give us information about the universe from before the CMB was created.

1. What is the CMB 'wall'?

The CMB 'wall' refers to the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation, which is the oldest light in the universe. It is a remnant of the Big Bang and is present in all directions in the sky.

2. Can we observe anything beyond the CMB 'wall'?

Yes, we can observe objects beyond the CMB 'wall', but they will appear distorted due to the expansion of the universe. This is known as the cosmic horizon, where the observable universe ends and beyond which we cannot see due to the limitations of the speed of light.

3. How far is the CMB 'wall' from Earth?

The CMB 'wall' is located approximately 46 billion light-years away from Earth. This distance is constantly increasing due to the expansion of the universe.

4. Is it possible to see beyond the CMB 'wall' with advanced technology?

It is currently not possible to see beyond the CMB 'wall' with any technology, as it is beyond the cosmic horizon. However, advancements in technology may allow us to detect and observe objects that are currently beyond our reach in the future.

5. What can we learn from studying the CMB 'wall'?

Studying the CMB 'wall' can provide us with valuable information about the early universe and the conditions that existed shortly after the Big Bang. It can also help us understand the expansion of the universe and the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.