Can we retrieve the inverse of matrix A in this example?

In summary: Yes. If all diagonal elements of ##A=diag(a_j)## are positive real numbers, then you can compute ##\overline{(UA)}^\tau## if you know ##UA##, then multiply both to ##\overline{(UA)}^\tau\cdot (UA)=\overline{A}^\tau \cdot A=A \cdot A = diag(a_j^2)## which has to be diagonal, if the given conditions for ##U## and ##A## are correct. Thus you have ##n## equations ##c_j :=\left(\overline{(UA)}^\tau(UA
Adel Makram
Suppose we have a product formed by a multiplication of a unitary matrix U and a diagonal matrix A, can we retrieve the inverse of A without knowing either U or A?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have UA, check if it's invertible. If it's not, there is no point trying to find the inverse of A because it does not exist.

blue_leaf77 said:
If you have UA, check if it's invertible. If it's not, there is no point trying to find the inverse of A because it does not exist.
U and A are square matrices of the same rank, so UA is a square matrix too and it should be invertible. But even in this case, how to find A and its inverse from UA? In other words, can we decompose UA into U and A?

Being square does not guarantee that it's invertible.
Adel Makram said:
can we decompose UA into U and A?
I will give you a hint, what is the transpose conjugate of ##UA##?

blue_leaf77 said:
Being square does not guarantee that it's invertible.
What if we find that UA is invertiabe, can we decompose it?

Probably I should also emphasized that ##A## is always unique but not necessarily diagonal. Which means, if you sought for a diagonal ##A## it may be to no avail.

blue_leaf77 said:
Probably I should also emphasized that ##A## is always unique but not necessarily diagonal. Which means, if you sought for a diagonal ##A## it may be to no avail.
I appreciate your contribution to answer but frankly I have no clear idea about your words. My question is clear from the beginning and still I have no answer on it, will I be able to decompose UA into U and A where is U is a unique unitary and A a unique diagonal or no?

Adel Makram said:
I appreciate your contribution to answer but frankly I have no clear idea about your words. My question is clear from the beginning and still I have no answer on it, will I be able to decompose UA into U and A where is U is a unique unitary and A a unique diagonal or no?
@blue_leaf77's question in post #4 contains the answer. What can you say about ##(UA)^\dagger = \overline{(UA)}^\tau## and what happens, if you multiply this by ##UA##?

fresh_42 said:
@blue_leaf77's question in post #4 contains the answer. What can you say about ##(UA)^\dagger = \overline{(UA)}^\tau## and what happens, if you multiply this by ##UA##?
We will get ##A^2## because ##U^TU=1##, right

Adel Makram said:
We will get ##A^2## because ##U^TU=1##, right
If you interpret ##A^2=\overline{A}A##, then yes. You haven't said that ##A## is a real diagonal matrix, so ##\overline{A} \neq A## in general. This still doesn't give you a unique description of the diagonal elements, but some additional information. Maybe this can be used in ##1=(UA)(UA)^{-1}##.

fresh_42 said:
If you interpret ##A^2=\overline{A}A##, then yes. You haven't said that ##A## is a real diagonal matrix, so ##\overline{A} \neq A## in general. This still doesn't give you a unique description of the diagonal elements, but some additional information. Maybe this can be used in ##1=(UA)(UA)^{-1}##.
But why is A, if it is real diagonal, not unique? If I get A2 then each diagonal element in A is ##\sqrt {A^2}##.

Adel Makram said:
But why is A, if it is real diagonal, not unique? If I get A2 then each diagonal element in A is ##\sqrt {A^2}##.
Again, you have only said ##A=diag(a_1,\ldots,a_n)##, so ##a_i \in \mathbb{C}## and ##(UA)^\dagger \cdot (UA)= \overline{A}\cdot A## is all you can conclude. Esp. this gives you ##n## equations ##c_j=\overline{a}_j \cdot a_j## which cannot be solved uniquely without additional information. Even in the real case there are two solutions for each ##j\, : \,\pm \, a_j##

fresh_42 said:
Again, you have only said ##A=diag(a_1,\ldots,a_n)##, so ##a_i \in \mathbb{C}## and ##(UA)^\dagger \cdot (UA)= \overline{A}\cdot A## is all you can conclude. Esp. this gives you ##n## equations ##c_j=\overline{a}_j \cdot a_j## which cannot be solved uniquely without additional information. Even in the real case there are two solutions for each ##j\, : \,\pm \, a_j##
So in special case where all elements of A are real and positive, then no additional information is required and A is solved.

Adel Makram said:
So in special case where all elements of A are real and positive, then no additional information is required and A is solved.
Yes.
If all diagonal elements of ##A=diag(a_j)## are positive real numbers, then you can compute ##\overline{(UA)}^\tau## if you know ##UA##, then multiply both to ##\overline{(UA)}^\tau\cdot (UA)=\overline{A}^\tau \cdot A=A \cdot A = diag(a_j^2)## which has to be diagonal, if the given conditions for ##U## and ##A## are correct. Thus you have ##n## equations ##c_j :=\left(\overline{(UA)}^\tau(UA) \right)_{jj}=a_j^2## which determine ##A## and with it ##A^{-1}## and ##U=(UA)A^{-1}##.

fresh_42 said:
Yes.
If all diagonal elements of ##A=diag(a_j)## are positive real numbers, then you can compute ##\overline{(UA)}^\tau## if you know ##UA##, then multiply both to ##\overline{(UA)}^\tau\cdot (UA)=\overline{A}^\tau \cdot A=A \cdot A = diag(a_j^2)## which has to be diagonal, if the given conditions for ##U## and ##A## are correct. Thus you have ##n## equations ##c_j :=\left(\overline{(UA)}^\tau(UA) \right)_{jj}=a_j^2## which determine ##A## and with it ##A^{-1}## and ##U=(UA)A^{-1}##.

Or more generally: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_decomposition

1. Can we always retrieve the inverse of a matrix?

No, not all matrices have an inverse. For a matrix to have an inverse, it must be a square matrix and its determinant must not be zero.

2. How do we find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, we can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, or the adjugate matrix method. The method used depends on the size and complexity of the matrix.

3. Why is it important to have an inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is important in many mathematical and scientific applications. It allows us to solve systems of linear equations, find the solution to a matrix equation, and perform operations such as division on matrices.

4. Can we retrieve the inverse of any size matrix?

Yes, we can retrieve the inverse of any square matrix as long as it is non-singular (its determinant is not zero). However, the process may become more complex and computationally intensive for larger matrices.

5. Is the inverse of a matrix unique?

Yes, the inverse of a matrix is unique. This means that a matrix cannot have more than one inverse. If a matrix has an inverse, it can only have one unique solution.