Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you define information without referring to consciousness?

1. Apr 25, 2013 #1
    Any consciousness based approach to QM will be dismissed as woo in the main forum.

However it's admitted that (with refernece to the double slit experiment):

"To be clear, the rule for interference in these cases: if it is possible, in principle, to know which slit the particle goes through, there is NO interference and there will just be the 2 characteristic bands." -DrChinese

So my question is- can you define knowledge or information in a way which does not refer to consciousness?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2013 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  4. Apr 25, 2013 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Going strictly by the title of this thread, I expected it to be about the US Congress. This is disappointing.

5. Apr 25, 2013 #4

Yes. Information theory is completely mathematical. But they aren't talking about meaning. I don't see any way to talk about knowledge or meaning without consciousness.

However I must say I never thought consciousness had anything to do with QM. Though I guess Neils Bohr thought so, and he is much smarter than I.

6. Apr 25, 2013 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's woo here too, the same rules apply throughout the forum.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook