Can you define information without referring to consciousness?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dismissal of any consciousness based approach to quantum mechanics in the main forum. It is admitted that interference can occur in the double slit experiment only if it is not possible to know which slit the particle goes through. The question is asked if knowledge or information can be defined without referencing consciousness, and it is suggested that information theory is purely mathematical but does not address meaning. The conversation ultimately concludes that consciousness is not believed to play a role in quantum mechanics, but there may be a connection according to some scholars.
bcrelling
Any consciousness based approach to QM will be dismissed as woo in the main forum.

However it's admitted that (with refernece to the double slit experiment):

"To be clear, the rule for interference in these cases: if it is possible, in principle, to know which slit the particle goes through, there is NO interference and there will just be the 2 characteristic bands." -DrChinese

So my question is- can you define knowledge or information in a way which does not refer to consciousness?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Going strictly by the title of this thread, I expected it to be about the US Congress. This is disappointing.

bcrelling said:
Any consciousness based approach to QM will be dismissed as woo in the main forum.

However it's admitted that (with refernece to the double slit experiment):

"To be clear, the rule for interference in these cases: if it is possible, in principle, to know which slit the particle goes through, there is NO interference and there will just be the 2 characteristic bands." -DrChinese

So my question is- can you define knowledge or information in a way which does not refer to consciousness?

Yes. Information theory is completely mathematical. But they aren't talking about meaning. I don't see any way to talk about knowledge or meaning without consciousness.

However I must say I never thought consciousness had anything to do with QM. Though I guess Neils Bohr thought so, and he is much smarter than I.

bcrelling said:
It's woo here too, the same rules apply throughout the forum.

Thread closed.

What is information?

Information is a broad term that refers to knowledge or data that is communicated or received. It can be in the form of facts, statistics, instructions, or any other form of communication that conveys meaning.

How is information defined?

Information is typically defined as the result of processing data through a system or medium, such as language, symbols, or technology. It can also be defined as the organization and interpretation of data to convey meaning.

Can information exist without consciousness?

Yes, information can exist without consciousness. In fact, information can exist in many forms and does not require a conscious observer to exist. For example, information can exist in books, databases, or other forms of written or recorded media.

Is consciousness necessary for information to have meaning?

No, consciousness is not necessary for information to have meaning. Information can have meaning based on its context and how it is interpreted by the receiver, regardless of whether the receiver is conscious or not.

Can information be created without consciousness?

Yes, information can be created without consciousness. Information can be created by automated systems or processes, such as artificial intelligence or computers, without the need for conscious thought or input.