Can you find the slope of a line passing through two points with this formula?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Line Slope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mathdad
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
0
Show that the slope of the line passing through the two points (x, x^2) and (x + h, (x + h)^2) is 2x + h.

Let me see if I can solve this baby on my own.

Let m = slope = 2x + h

m = [(x + h)^2 - x^2]/[(x + h) - x]

If I simplify the right side, it should give me m, right?

At the very end, I should have 2x + h = 2x + h.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
m = [(x + h)^2 - x^2]/[(x + h) - x]

m = [x^2 + 2hx + h^2 - x^2]/h

m = (2hx + h^2)/h

m = 2x + h

Done!