Can you help me have a general view on cosmology and astrophysics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the establishment of a new department in the college, the laboratory of high energy physics and cosmology. The students are interested in learning more about cosmology and astrophysics and are seeking recommendations for introductory books. They also discuss the lack of resources in the college library and exchange contact information to share materials. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to improve the availability of resources in the college library.
chip-^.^-
Our college has just established a new department: laboratory of high energy physics and cosmology. And it is the first in our country. We are first students,too. Can you help me have a general view on cosmology and astrophysics?
We only know little about some constellations and solar system.:frown:
Thank you very much.:smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
try pick up a good introductory book from your library or book store, we are willing to guide which ones that are good if you tells us which one you can get a copy of.

Also I have some good material on my computer and some links, send me a private message and I give you my email.

Cheers

Thank you very much!

There isn't any book about cosmology in our college's library. It only has few books about general astronomy. But they are published some decades ago, and only introduces to some planets.

How can I send you a message? What's your email address? Mine is lava122@yahoo.com.

Thanks very much!

Last edited:
you can click "private messages" at the very up right corner, don't post you email here!

also you can click on my name to see my "public profile" then choose to send me a private message!

Last edited:
Which country are you from?

chip-^.^- said:
There isn't any book about cosmology in our college's library. It only has few books about general astronomy. But they are published some decades ago, and only introduces to some planets.!
You should try to change that...

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It is a branch of astronomy that combines observations, theoretical models, and mathematical calculations to understand the nature of the universe on a large scale.

2. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical properties and processes of celestial objects, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. This field uses principles from physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, to understand the behavior and interactions of these objects.

3. How are cosmology and astrophysics related?

Cosmology and astrophysics are closely related fields that both aim to understand the universe and its components. While cosmology focuses on the overall structure and evolution of the universe, astrophysics delves into the physical properties and processes of individual celestial objects within the universe.

4. What are some current topics of research in cosmology and astrophysics?

Some current topics of research in cosmology and astrophysics include dark matter and dark energy, the formation and evolution of galaxies, the search for habitable planets outside of our solar system, and the study of gravitational waves. Scientists are also working to understand the origins of the universe through theories such as the Big Bang and inflation.

5. How does studying cosmology and astrophysics benefit society?

Studying cosmology and astrophysics not only expands our understanding of the universe, but it also has practical applications that benefit society. For example, research in these fields has led to advancements in technology, such as satellite communication and GPS systems. Additionally, studying the origins and evolution of the universe can help us better understand our place in it and inspire curiosity and wonder about the world around us.