Can You Make Incense Without the Smell of Saltpeter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cuallito
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
cuallito
Messages
94
Reaction score
1
So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to replace salt-peter with in incense. Incense is usually made from wood or charcoal with either other organic solids (spices/herbs)added and/or fragrant oils, and a binder such as guar gum. Usually salt peter is added as well to help the incense burn.

Although it's possible to leave the salt peter out, every incense I've made doing that stops burning before it's done.

It works but the problem is salt peter gives off a smell of it's own when it combusts, which is counter productive, so I was wondering what else could be used in place of it that wouldn't give off a smell (or at least a more neutral smell.)
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm surprised to hear that you are getting an odor from the saltpeter, because potassium nitrate really shouldn't produce much of an odor. There might be a small amount of nitrogen dioxide, but I can't imagine it would be enough for you to be able to smell it. Maybe someone sold you something that wasn't really pure potassium nitrate?

I would suggest trying a different supplier.