Can you name someone that pulled off a certain impossible feat academically?

• Thread starter Gary_T2018
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary: But she's got like, 4 degrees. That's still something.In summary, someone who achieves something really impressive, like winning a Nobel Prize or getting 4 degrees or more, is "certain" an "impossible feat academically."
Gary_T2018
Could be someone you know, or someone you heard/read about.

By "certain impossible feat academically?" I mean someone who achieved something that is really, really impressive and must be a combination of individual merit, endeavor, talent and of course, luck. Someone for example won the Draper Prize then went on to get a Nobel Prize. Someone attained 4 degrees or more including say a doctorate.

I don't know any but I sure'd like to read up on them on wikepedia!

Edit: please, no jokes.

I actually looked up and found one: Emily Calandarelli. 4 STEM degrees including 2 M.A. from MIT. Impressive to say the least.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Sheldon Cooper probably qualifies for many academic "impossible feats"

• Haha
Likes bhobba, Astronuc and russ_watters
I was in high school with a guy that got 800 / 800 SAT scores. In the early 1970's you could not score higher than that. Not sure how they score them now.

Perfect scoring in both math and verbal must be pretty unusual. Saying that, now I'm expecting a bunch of PF'rs "oh, me too" ha ha.

Perhaps you would settle for half a "me too". I scored in the high 600's on the verbal, but aced the Math in both my Junior and Senior years. I also took the Math II achievement and aced that one as well. I graduated High School in 1971.

Likes Spinnor
On the entrance exams to Princeton for graduate school, Richard Feynman aced the physics portion and had an outstanding score on the mathematics section. He did bad on the history and English sections, however.

Likes Jodo
Emmy Noether

Likes bhobba
My best bud in high school got 800 on the advanced math test and to all our amazement he decided to take it again the following year. He did and got another 800. I had a piddling 780 and no way was *I* going to take it again.

Frank Ryan, earned a PhD in mathematics and worked as a math professor, all while playing quarterback in the NFL. Indeed, he led the Browns to a NFL Championship in 1964, then earned his PhD from Rice in 1965.

(In more modern times, John Urschel played in the NFL for the Baltimore Ravens while he was a PhD student in math at MIT)

Likes kith, StatGuy2000, atyy and 2 others
Ygggdrasil said:
Frank Ryan, earned a PhD in mathematics and worked as a math professor, all while playing quarterback in the NFL. Indeed, he led the Browns to a NFL Championship in 1964, then earned his PhD from Rice in 1965.

(In more modern times, John Urschel played in the NFL for the Baltimore Ravens while he was a PhD student in math at MIT)
Holy. These dudes are wild!

Gary_T2018 said:
Emily Calandarelli. 4 STEM degrees including 2 M.A. from MIT. Impressive to say the least.

Two masters is not an "impossible feat". It's much less work than a single PhD, which requires an original contribution to human knowledge.

Likes bhobba and weirdoguy
Astronuc said:
BTW, if "impossible" feats are accomplished, then they are not impossible; challenging perhaps, but not impossible.
Exactly. The title of this thread annoys me greatly. What's worse is that he as decided that now HE gets to define what impossible means and it doesn't mean what the rest of us think it means.
By "certain impossible feat academically?" I mean ...

Two masters? I bet there must be a million people who have done that.

Here's another example of someone who combines academic achievement with high levels of talent in another field: Igor Lovchinsky, who was trained as a classical pianist with a Bachelor's degree from Julliard and later went on to get a PhD in Physics from Harvard.

Vanadium 50 said:
Two masters? I bet there must be a million people who have done that.

My wife being one of them.

Gary_T2018 said:
Someone attained 4 degrees or more

My wife has four degrees, each from a different Canadian university,

Gary_T2018 said:
including say a doctorate.

She does not have a Ph.D., and she has four degrees only because of changing career goals, physics -> engineering-> teaching. She has a B.Sc. in Physics (York), an M.Sc. in Physics (Windsor), and M.A.Sc. in Material Science Engineering (Toronto), and a B.Ed. (New Brunswick). She is now a high school teacher.

British physicist Chris Isham did some amazing things as a Ph.D. student. Fom ""Group Theory for the Standard Model of Particle Physics and Beyond" by Ken Barnes

Isham.jpg

Vanadium 50 said:
Two masters is not an "impossible feat". It's much less work than a single PhD, which requires an original contribution to human knowledge.

But she's got like, 4 degrees. That's still something.

Astronuc said:
BTW, if "impossible" feats are accomplished, then they are not impossible; challenging perhaps, but not impossible.

Metaphorically, not literally.

Never mind...

phinds said:
Exactly. The title of this thread annoys me greatly. What's worse is that he as decided that now HE gets to define what impossible means and it doesn't mean what the rest of us think it means.

Doesn't "impossible" means "incredible" and "unbelievable" a lot of the times?

E.g. "Your hang-up on semantics and the literal definition of terms are impossibly stubborn"

Gary_T2018 said:
Doesn't "impossible" means "incredible" and "unbelievable" a lot of the times?

E.g. "Your hang-up on semantics and the literal definition of terms are impossibly stubborn"
Well, this is a science forum and hard definitions and precised usage are more readily accepted than loose ones such as the ones you point out, which are sloppy causal useage that are obviously not technically true. Yes, people DO say things like that but I don't think that, for example, "impossibly stubborn" could even HAVE a solid definition, it's just a causal every-day careless language usage.

The most widely accepted casual usage is something like "impossible to deal with", which in some cases may actually be literally true although more likely it just means "incredibly hard to deal with", NOT actually impossible.

You might want to reflect on the fact that I'm not the only one in the thread who commented on your usage.

My wife got two masters degrees for free as part of the PhD she is doing, if you want to find the minimal effort required to get such a combination of degrees. In general, degree programs are designed to be passed. Even getting like, two phds is interesting and required a lot of effort, but I don't think any special skill necessarily. Most people don't get two phds because they're busy applying the knowledge they got from the first one. Tv is probably to blame for this misconception.

Gary_T2018 said:
But she's got like, 4 degrees. That's still something.

So we have moved from "impossible" to "still something".

"I don't know what you mean by 'glory,' " Alice said.
Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't—till I tell you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!'"
"But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument'," Alice objected.
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

I suspect you will find that people quickly tire of this game.

Likes Astronuc
Gary_T2018 said:
Metaphorically, not literally.

Never mind...
Seemingly impossible would have been a better way to phrase the question.

Likes vela
Once he edited the OP to exclude fictional characters, a literal interpretation for "impossible" was excluded.

I suggested Emmy Noether, but didn't explain why or what her feats were.

She was one of the most brilliant and influential mathematician/physicists of all time, but there are a lot of others you could name. The reason I singled out Noether is that she defied the rules, and did something which was intended to be literally impossible: be a woman and teach mathematics and advise students at Göttingen.

She also was very hard working, humble, and extremely successful; even while being denied the title and pay she deserved. But the "impossible" achievement was really just being there when she officially wasn't allowed to be.

Likes Gary_T2018, bhobba and etotheipi
Hardly an impossible feat but interesting anyway. Winnie Cooper from the Wonder Years was actually a good mathematician, being one of the co-authors of the Chayes–McKellar–Winn theorem:
https://terrytao.wordpress.com/2007/08/20/math-doesnt-suck-and-the-chayes-mckellar-winn-theorem/

Oh - I forgot to mention she did it as an undergraduate. She did not do a PhD after immediately after graduating instead pursuing her acting career etc, but returned later and completed one.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Gary_T2018 and Astronuc
I always heard J. Robert Oppenheimer took 6 or more courses at a time at Harvard and aced them all, graduating phi beta kappa in 3 years. Since I found it challenging to get a C there in anyone course, taking only the usual 4, I think this is impressive, but apparently possible.

Likes bhobba
Brian May, lead guitarist of Queen, became a professor of astrophysics. He even looks like Isaac Newton, with long wavy blonde hair persisting through his 70's.

Likes atyy
In 1939, George Dantzig arrived late for a graduate-level statistics class at the University of California, Berkeley. On the board were two major unsolved problems of statistics that George mistook for a homework assignment. He copied them down and started working on them from home, six weeks later he turned in the work late, hoping to get at least some credit for the assignment but nothing great. Dantzig’s statistics professor later notified him of what he achieved and the impact it would have on the math community.

Likes etotheipi, atyy, BillTre and 1 other person
Sadly, the similarity ends there as Newton had more of a Pete Townsendesque windmill strumming style.

Likes Jodo and atyy
Catenary Tails said:
Sadly, the similarity ends there as Newton had more of a Pete Townsendesque windmill strumming style.
I always knew Newton's style would be quite derivative.

• Haha
Likes atyy, berkeman and BillTre
Ygggdrasil said:
I always knew Newton's style would be quite derivative.
Don't worry. We won't tell anyone you said that.

Getting multiple degrees is not that difficult if you have the money/financial support and don't have to work. Continually going to school is hardly a feat. Getting degrees in related disciplines is even easier because previous coursework can be used for some of the degree requirements.

And that guy who's a pianist and has a physics doctorate...he's been playing since he was two. Probably had a teacher for years and years. Not at all difficult to excel at something one has been doing for as long as one can walk.

What's really amazing is how far socioeconomic privilege alone can take a person.

Judah_Idris said:
socioeconomic privilege

I'm so old I remember when that was called "money".

• Wow
Likes Tom.G

What is considered an "impossible feat" academically?

An "impossible feat" academically can vary depending on the individual's capabilities and the specific academic field. Generally, it refers to achieving something that is extremely difficult or has not been accomplished before.

Can you name someone who has pulled off an impossible feat academically?

There are many individuals who have achieved impressive academic feats, such as earning multiple degrees simultaneously or publishing groundbreaking research. One example is Marie Curie, who became the first woman to win a Nobel Prize and the only person to win it in two different scientific fields.

What qualities or characteristics do individuals who pull off impossible feats academically possess?

Individuals who achieve impossible feats academically often possess a combination of determination, perseverance, intelligence, and a strong work ethic. They are also often highly motivated and have a passion for their field of study.

Are there any strategies or tips for pulling off an impossible feat academically?

Some strategies for achieving impossible feats academically include setting clear goals, breaking down the task into smaller, manageable steps, seeking support and guidance from mentors or peers, and maintaining a positive mindset. Additionally, staying organized, managing time effectively, and continuously learning and adapting can also contribute to success.

What are some potential challenges or obstacles that individuals may face when attempting an impossible feat academically?

Some potential challenges or obstacles individuals may face when attempting an impossible feat academically include time constraints, competing priorities, lack of resources or support, and self-doubt. It is important to anticipate and address these challenges in order to overcome them and achieve the desired feat.