Can you see the atmosphere with you eyes or only through photos? (In space)

In summary: I've always wondered if this was something like you can't see a galaxy with the naked eye, unless you use really long exposure times in your photos?seeing or not seeing other galaxies isn't dependant on our atmosphereThere are 4 or 5 galaxies that we can see with our naked eyes1) our own Milky Way Galaxy2) LMC = Large Magellanic Cloud3) SMC = Small Magellanic Cloud4) M32 Andromeda Galaxy5) M33 The Triangulum GalaxyAll the rest are very faint and need telescopes or very large camera telephoto lenses to see or photograph
Tyrion101
Among my favorite space photos are those in which you can see the Earth's, or other planets atmosphere, and I've always wondered if this was something like you can't see a galaxy with the naked eye, unless you use really long exposure times in your photos?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tyrion101 said:
and I've always wondered if this was something like you can't see a galaxy with the naked eye, unless you use really long exposure times in your photos?

seeing or not seeing other galaxies isn't dependant on our atmosphere
There are 4 or 5 galaxies that we can see with our naked eyes

1) our own Milky Way Galaxy
2) LMC = Large Magellanic Cloud
3) SMC = Small Magellanic Cloud
4) M32 Andromeda Galaxy
and some people with awesome eyesight in a dark location can see
5) M33 The Triangulum Galaxy

all the rest are very faint and need telescopes or very large camera telephoto lenses to see or photograph

Dave

Tyrion101 said:
Among my favorite space photos are those in which you can see the Earth's, or other planets atmosphere,

still considering the best way to answer this part...

OK try this I found on google ...

Blue light is scattered more than other wavelengths by the gases in the atmosphere, giving Earth a blue halo when seen from space onboard ISS at a height of 402–424 km.

Top_of_Atmosphere.jpg
how's that grab you ?
and you don't need a camera to see it ... even at around 30 - 40,000 ft in an airliner you start seeing that :smile:

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
davenn said:
seeing or not seeing other galaxies isn't dependant on our atmosphere
There are 4 or 5 galaxies that we can see with our naked eyes

1) our own Milky Way Galaxy
2) LMC = Large Magellanic Cloud
3) SMC = Small Magellanic Cloud
4) M32 Andromeda Galaxy
and some people with awesome eyesight in a dark location can see
5) M33 The Triangulum Galaxy

all the rest are very faint and need telescopes or very large camera telephoto lenses to see or photograph

Dave
I was referring to the non obvious galaxies, but I take your point

Tyrion101 said:
I was referring to the non obvious galaxies, but I take your point
I covered both scenarios :wink:

Maybe one day I'll make it there :). Probably not though.

Tyrion101 said:
Among my favorite space photos are those in which you can see the Earth's, or other planets atmosphere, and I've always wondered if this was something like you can't see a galaxy with the naked eye, unless you use really long exposure times in your photos?
Yes of course you can see atmospheres. When you set at sky you can see blue sky, which is atmosphere. It can be seen because particles or atoms on atmosphere refract sun light which let's is see atmosphere :rolleyes::)

1. Can the atmosphere be seen with the naked eye in space?

No, the atmosphere cannot be seen with the naked eye in space. This is because the atmosphere is made up of gases that are transparent, meaning that light passes through them without being scattered or absorbed.

2. Why can't we see the atmosphere in space?

As mentioned before, the atmosphere is mostly made up of gases that are transparent. This means that they do not reflect or scatter light, so they cannot be seen with the naked eye in space.

3. Can we see the atmosphere with telescopes or other instruments?

Yes, we can see the atmosphere through telescopes and other instruments that are specifically designed to detect and capture images of the atmosphere. These instruments use specialized filters and techniques to enhance the visibility of the atmosphere.

4. Are there any parts of the atmosphere that can be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, there are some parts of the atmosphere that can be seen with the naked eye, such as clouds and auroras. These are visible because they are made up of particles that reflect or scatter light, making them visible to our eyes.

5. Can astronauts see the atmosphere from space?

Yes, astronauts can see the atmosphere from space. They are able to see the Earth's atmosphere as a thin blue layer surrounding the planet. This is because they are at a high enough altitude to see the curvature of the Earth and the atmosphere that surrounds it.