Can You Spot All the Galaxies in This Virgo Supercluster Photo?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Photo
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
7,831
Reaction score
4,174
Virgo is favorably located right now (for me)- my goal for the next month or two is to stitch together a bunch of image stacks to get the entire region. Here's one 'frame' from last night, showing M84, M86, The Eyes, NGC 4388, 4402, 4461, 4458, 4477, 4459... you get the idea.

RGB-1_zpsmonkogi8.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: artyb, e.bar.goum, davenn and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
There's 12 easily visible galaxies in the image above. The faint lines are due to a passing airplane- 1 frame still has statistical significance! I've so far obtained 3 different fields of view, I think I need about 8-10 to really cover the region. This being cleveland, 8-10 clear nights over a 2 month period is not a sure bet... stay tuned!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and Drakkith
Yup. that's pretty cool :smile:

I can pick out an easy 15 fuzzies :)

That's one group I have yet to image
 
Here's a first cut of the whole field of view, from 8 separate stacks fused together using Hugin:

virgo_filtered_small_zpsnr5dek3h.jpg


There's 9 or 10 Messier objects and at least 100 NGC objects present in this image. I'm still stacking some of the subframes and could acquire a few additional stacks around the periphery, but I'm not sure I'll have a chance before Virgo moves out of position... It's also about 10k x 12k pixels. I'll post the full image to my blog when it's done.

Next up... the globular cluster in Hercules...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith
Here's the more-or-less final assembly, tweaked for viewing at highly reduced magnification:

virgo2x_zpszlmgtyzu.jpg


For reference, near the bottom-center is the 'siamese twins' pair of galaxies and near the top-center is M88.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith