Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you stop someone from following you

1. Feb 18, 2015 #1

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is there any way you can eliminate someone from your 'followers' list? Apparently setting the 'ignore' option for that user won't work.

And 1 more thing: if a member is (username/IP) banned, how can you tell? In vbulletin there was a way to tell that.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2015 #2
  4. Feb 18, 2015 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, Greg, it's the other way around. He's following me. He appears in my "followers" list and I want that user out. :D

5. Feb 18, 2015 #4
    Their username has a strikeout

Members following you won't be listed in the link I provided. Where are you seeing this list? A different question is what difference does it make to you if someone follows you? :)

6. Feb 18, 2015 #5
    I think I understand. There is no method of removing a follower. What is the point?

7. Feb 18, 2015 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here: Capture.JPG

I want to somehow approve of users following me, if it's not too much to ask. :)

8. Feb 18, 2015 #7
    There is no function for this. What does it matter who follows you? All that happens is your username is highlighted in the online list and your posts are listed in their News Feed.

9. Feb 18, 2015 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought it was meant to replicate social media (if someone 'friends' you on FB you can ignore his/her request), but it's not. So ok, I'll drop it.
    Thanks.

10. Feb 18, 2015 #9
    It's just a way of communicating "hey, I find your posts interesting and I'd like a little bit easier way of finding your content" :)

11. Mar 9, 2015 #10
    Do we actually get alerts when the members we are following post something ?

12. Mar 9, 2015 #11

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

No alert, but an entry shows up in the "Your news feed" section linked from "My PF" at the top of the page.

13. Mar 9, 2015 #12
    No, as Nug said, but the member will receive an alert that you are following them

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook