Can you Test out of College Classes?

In summary, the person is asking if they can test out of a course that they received a low grade in at their current college in order to transfer to a new college. They mention CLEP tests as an option and discuss their previous experience with testing out of a course. They are advised to check with the new college to see if this is possible and to come up with a better reason for wanting to test out of the course. The person who responded also shares their own experience with testing out of a course and cautions against assuming that this will be an option at all colleges.
Dan Card
So I finished my first year of college and I'll be transferring to a new college where a C or better is required. However my Intro to Anthropology(100) class I had an absolutely terrible professor who gave me a C- and so now it won't transfer and I'm out of $1,400.

So my question is am I able to test out of this class and get credit for it at the college I'm transferring to? I know of CLEP tests but I'm unsure if they would have this class. Would I try to talk to someone within my new college and see if I can?

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to test out of one course... a number of decades ago :-) . But it was as a college newbie, not as a transfer. I just went to a professor in the department of interest--don't recall if they were the chairperson--and asked if I could take a test to try to test out of a class. They said sure.

I don't know if the lack of transferability of the course you took matters, or whether or not you need to specifically bring it up.

SunThief said:
I was able to test out of one course... a number of decades ago :-) . But it was as a college newbie, not as a transfer. I just went to a professor in the department of interest--don't recall if they were the chairperson--and asked if I could take a test to try to test out of a class. They said sure.

I don't know if the lack of transferability of the course you took matters, or whether or not you need to specifically bring it up.
Sweet, since it's an Intro class I really doubt that they would care that I want to test out of it :)

This is going to be very university-dependent. You have to talk to someone at the new university. You might think about coming up with a better reason for why they should make an exception in your case than "I didn't like my professor and he gave me a low grade".

When I transferred long, long ago, my statics course credit was not accepted. I was told I would have to drop out of dynamics for which statics was a prerequisite, even though I had the highest grade at that point in the dynamics class. I took an exam and got credit for statics, and was able to continue in the dynamics class.

Vanadium 50 said:
This is going to be very university-dependent. You have to talk to someone at the new university. You might think about coming up with a better reason for why they should make an exception in your case than "I didn't like my professor and he gave me a low grade".
Very true haha, I honestly could tell them that I went to that school took a class that didn't transfer and I just want to try and test out of that class. I think that would work

Dr.D said:
When I transferred long, long ago, my statics course credit was not accepted. I was told I would have to drop out of dynamics for which statics was a prerequisite, even though I had the highest grade at that point in the dynamics class. I took an exam and got credit for statics, and was able to continue in the dynamics class.
That's awesome! Also that exam, was it basically just like a final cumulative exam?

Dan Card said:
That's awesome! Also that exam, was it basically just like a final cumulative exam?

Before you jump up and down and get lost in the euphoria, I’m going to throw cold water all over this.

Many of the things said here are very school-specific! You must check with the institution that you intend to enroll in and verify that you can test out these courses. That is the ONLY definitive answer to your question.

Zz.

Likes Vanadium 50 and jtbell
Dan Card said:

Yes, it was a three hour final, probably from a previous semester. I worked the entire exam the first hour. Laid that all aside and worked it all again the second hour. After I checked to be sure my results agreed, I turned it in. Never saw a grade, but I'm pretty sure they were all correct.

1. Can I test out of college classes?

Yes, it is possible to test out of college classes. This process is known as credit by examination or credit by examination testing.

2. How do I test out of college classes?

The process of testing out of college classes varies by institution, but generally involves taking a standardized test or completing a portfolio of work to demonstrate proficiency in the subject. It is important to check with your school's academic policies for specific requirements and procedures.

3. Is there a cost to test out of college classes?

Yes, there is typically a fee associated with credit by examination testing. This fee may vary depending on the institution and the specific test being taken.

4. Can I test out of all college classes?

No, not all college classes can be tested out of. Some courses may have specific requirements or prerequisites that cannot be fulfilled through credit by examination testing. It is important to check with your academic advisor or the school's policies to see which classes are eligible for credit by examination.

5. Will testing out of college classes affect my GPA?

Generally, testing out of college classes will not have an impact on your GPA as long as you pass the exam or portfolio review. However, it is important to check with your institution to confirm their policies on credit by examination and GPA calculation.