Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canadian government tries to make energy conservation hip

1. Apr 26, 2007 #1
    Canadian government tries to make energy conservation "hip"

get it?? FLICK OFF! as in flick off the lights and save energy!
    but omg! it looks just like F**K OFF...... NOT! I'm so amused!...

more like X-vironmentalism!

now fighting gLobal warming is finally cool! all my friends are throwing their broken bongs in tHe recycling bins from now on for sure!

.... give me a break :uhh: .
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2007 #2
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"We only have 10 years to dramatically reduce our emissions or we're screwed."

So FLICK OFF, eh!
  4. Apr 26, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Someone should have given a little more thought to that camera angle (or maybe they did, and opted for humor). :rofl:
  5. Apr 26, 2007 #4
    I just got this in my email:
    /\ I guess that's a shot at the Liberal party at the end there...

6. Apr 26, 2007 #5
    my first impression was "this is it, the day has finally come when the government has an official slogan for what's been their message all along: F**K OFF."
  7. Apr 26, 2007 #6
    Not the mention the alternate message of the symbol used for "O."
  8. Apr 26, 2007 #7
    :rofl: Nice!
  9. Apr 26, 2007 #8
    "We only have 10 years to dramatically reduce our emissions or we're screwed."

:rofl: I thought he was joking when he said that! :rofl:
  10. Apr 27, 2007 #9
    :rofl: I know, this campaign is just so poorly thought out on so many levels... I wake up to see some government officials on tv in front of a giant F-off banner I thought I was in the twilight zone...

they even have a "go flick yourself" section on the website... ugh, they needs to learn that politicians trying to be "cool" have about as much street cred as a faith-based punk band doing an old navy ad.

... ok I was bored
  11. Apr 27, 2007 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're expecting a comment from me, aren't you?
  12. Apr 27, 2007 #11
    I don't know what to say. The fear mongering almost makes me sick... I mean its a good idea to promote some degree of energy conservation, but this goes a bit over the line. I think that the probability of this campaign having any effect on the way Canada's youth views energy conservation is pretty flicking low, even with the rampant fear mongering.
  13. Apr 27, 2007 #12

Gold Member

The FLICK campaign was started by British National billionaire and founder of Virgin Records, Virgin Airlines and Virgin Toilet Seat Liners, (edit:Sir)Richard Branson. It isn't a Canadian idea. It is Branson's Hyper-Publicity-Marketing ploy that has a contest to award the most energy conserving town in Canada with a free concert by a big name band (proabably British).

The announcement by the Conservative Government of Canada concerning raising prices on washing machines, gas (of course) electricity etc..... to the tune of 8 billion dollars a year to offset global warming (what a load of complete and utter bs scamming) will put reaching the Kyoto Agreement protocol off by 13 years. No mention of solutions for over-fishing, fish farm infestations of sea lice, clear cuts and land erosion, pine beetle infestation, drinking water contamination by effluent laced with dioxin (fire retardants), anti-biotic soaps, untreated sewage and a rising number of aggresively-marketed anti-depressants such as Prozac.

Get real you damn humans!
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  14. Apr 27, 2007 #13
    I didn't know about that... I should have figured someone had to be profiting from such a lame idea.. the liberal party sure isn't.

it worked didn't it :rofl:

if they can put hendrix and einstein in a pepsi commercial, anything's possible.
  15. Apr 27, 2007 #14

Gold Member

yeah, he's telling canada to get FLICKED and win a big concert in one of its little towns if they can run everything on their own methane, solar panels, dehabilitating flourescent lighting and other "energy savers".

Personally, I'd rather MAKE energy than SAVE it. And we do have the (environmentally friendly) technology to do it.

Branson's FLICKing thing is just like him. He's always using sexist marketing campaigns and he's always got to be photographed with these cheesy girls in plastic suits... everyone smiling. I mean, don't get me wrong, I find women fascinating too, but relentlessly using them as props in every commercial starts to give ol Benny Hill Branson away slightly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?